Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

Installing trunk lift supports?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Default Installing trunk lift supports?

Hi,

I'm trying to replace the trunk lift supports on my wife's 1996 Contour Sport and having difficulty removing the old ones. I can't seem to get a screwdriver in to release the clamp on the front oe each side. Anyone have any suggestions or better tools on getting it off?

Thanks!

Scott

Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Default Replacing trunk lid struts on Contour/Mystique

Support the open trunk lid with something (else it will slam shut when you remove the old struts), fold down the seats to give yourself room to work, and climb in. Peel back the trunk liner/carpet along the trunk's side wall, starting from where it touches the back seat. I found that peeling it up from the bottom, I can get a medium flat head screwdriver in behind it and gently pry out the plastic fastener holding the liner to the suspension tower and trunk wall. I had to remove two fasteners to get enough of the liner peeled away so I could work.

With the liner out of the way, start with the front attach point of the strut. Use a small flat head screwdriver to loosen the metal retaining clip that locks it on (look at the new strut to see how this works), and with the clip loose you can push the strut away from the arm of the trunk lid. It should pop right off.

The procedure is similar for the rear attach point, buried behind and above the suspension tower... if possible, have a helper aim a flashlight into that area so you have both hands free. Feel your way to the retaining clip, pry/loosen it with the small flat head screwdriver in one hand, and with the other hand pop the strut off from its mount point.

Putting the new strut on is easy - no tools needed. Start with the rear attach point, and just press the socket of the new strut onto the attach point. It will pop on. Then do the same with the front attach point. You may need a helper to move the trunk lid slightly so its arm is within reach of the strut - I found it impossible to extend/compress the strut with my hands.

Put the carpet/liner back into place, and pop any plastic fasteners you removed back into their holes to secure the liner. That's it!