Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Leaking Water Pump HELP. :/

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 PM
Default Leaking Water Pump HELP. :/

Water pump leaking. Bought new water pump. I know about reverse thread-supposed to loosen the same way fan turns-but with a water pump pulley holder tool & pipe wrench on fan clutch nut, the nut won’t budge..

Also, with little room to moving around due to HUGE fan shroud that cannot come off unless you remove the fan clutch with the shroud, it makes this job so much more stressful lol. Does anybody happen to have any suggestions/advice? Thanks guys.

Last edited by TooTall92; 09-30-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Just need to change the title.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:24 AM

This must be on a 7.3 correct?
There is a set of special large open end wrenches just made for handling these fasteners. Possibly you might be able to rent then from an auto supply store or if not practical, I have managed to loosen them with rapping on the nut with a long heavy screwdriver. Remember that it is left hand thread and you have to be trying to go in the direction of what would appear to be tightening a normal fastener. No sense worrying about damaging the water pump since it is getting replaced anyway.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
This must be on a 7.3 correct?
There is a set of special large open end wrenches just made for handling these fasteners. Possibly you might be able to rent then from an auto supply store or if not practical, I have managed to loosen them with rapping on the nut with a long heavy screwdriver. Remember that it is left hand thread and you have to be trying to go in the direction of what would appear to be tightening a normal fastener. No sense worrying about damaging the water pump since it is getting replaced anyway.
No it’s a 4.6. And I didn’t know about that trick. It could be though because the nut actually already have marks on one side of it like a 1/4 inch shallow gash. So it could be that a previous person had tried this. So basically a long a** flathhead and a hammer lol or rubber mallet. Would a smaller crowbar work just as well? Only time will tell.