Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

02 e250 w/ light issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Default 02 e250 w/ light issues

Hi guys,

This is my first post to this forum. I'm looking for any help to solve my little lighting issue. I hit a bump and my headlights all of a sudden went off. When the lights are on low beams do not work and high beams take a moment to kick on. High beam flasher works as it should.

So far I bought a headlight switch. Long story short, both my new and original switch are now able to turn on the head lights, but now the parking lights do not work, and the tail lights only light up when the brake is applied, there is no dim running light for when the brake is not applied.

I'm at a loss here. I don't understand why the head lights started working and the parking and some running lights quit working with out any outside intervention. If you don't understand what I mean I don't blame you, I wouldn't say I'm the best with words. Lol

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 12-03-2013, 02:15 PM

I would suspect there is either a poor or no ground connection from the battery negative cable to the sheet metal of the vehicle. Some vehicles had an extra 10 gauge wire as part of the negative cable terminal at the battery that went to the sheet metal of the entire vehicle. If there is no additional wire on that negative cable , start checking for wires that connect to the engine assy and connect to the sheet metal . There are usually a few to prevent things like this from taking place.
What you can try is to take a piece of wire and touch the negative (-) post of the battery and touch the other end to a clean (no paint) part of the sheet metal and see what the lights do.
Also, has the windshield ever been replaced in the vehicle ? Some vehicle windshields leaked right from the factory others leaked after windshield replacement.
When the water got into the interior fuse panel (Junction box) it did all sorts of strange things.
Sometimes removing and trying to clean the back of the panel worked and other times it required replacement. Let us know if any of these suggestions helped determine the problem.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the tips, I do have the little 10 gauge wire going directly from my negative post to the body. I believe the windshield is the original and I have not noticed any water making its way in near the fuse box. I went back to autozone and after describing my situation to the employee, he suggested that my clock spring is bad. I guess this is a part located in the steering column right behind the steering wheel and deals with the circuits of all the lights and signals. I'm doing a little internet research to see what prices I can find on that part. If it's not too much cash might buy it just to try it. If it's a pretty penny I'll probably just be taking it to a local shop my family has had good luck with and let them figure it out.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Before you get too involved with a "possible" clockspring problem get a second opinion. I will offer a first and third opinion and say that the clockspring has nothing to do with your vehicle's lighting problem. The clockspring is mostly for the functioning of the air bag (SIRS) Supplemental Inflatable Restraint System).

Old 12-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Would have nothing to do with the clockspring.

Heads and tails have separate grounds, different circuit/fuse protection between the two lamp functions. To help and try to diagnose a power distribution issue may be to do some pin point tests at the H/L connector as a first step. Might help to prove out the CJB for any issues. If you have a meter and/or test light we should be able to give you some direction.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:35 AM

Thanks Hayapower,
I was starting to wonder if I spoke in terms one could understand.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:24 AM

I won't mess with the clock spring, glad I asked. I do have a meter, if you have the time to give me some pointers I'm all ears.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Ok..

Keeping you hit a 'bump' triggered fault in mind..

So being the 'flash to pass' have always worked (heads now with either H/L switch you install should eliminate the switch) and the stop lamps always functioned normally (?) should take the individual circuit grounds issues out of the diagnosis. If you had only headlight issues the direction may be to look into power distribution/fuses from the BJB/CJB (battery junction and central junction fuse panels) to the H/L switch first and on down into the multi function switch. If the multi function is going south could be cause for lamp issues even though the flash option is working. But wouldn't affect park/run lamps.

So, the things in common between the two lamp circuits would be fuse panels and the headlight switch and/or connectors.

So, to clarify, you have 'no' running/park lamp function at all. Front or rear, license lamp etc.

Since there's less involved as far as components for the running lamps may be a good place to start. On/at the H/L connector, is there 12v on the tan/white wire? with the switch in head or park is there current out on the brown wire?

Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 AM

You're right about there is no running/parking lights working.

Sorry but where would I be looking for the H/L connector?

Also was just informed my Father got me in the shop schedule so I'll be dropping it off this afternoon. I don't mind trying what you have to say because it may save me some money but if you think it'll just be a waste of your time, no worries.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 AM

My afternoon has gotten all jumbled up, I appreciate the help but I'll just be taking it to the shop. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 02 e250 w/ light issues