Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1976 E250 Thumping of the coolent system.I know..wierd

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Default 1976 E250 Thumping of the coolent system.I know..wierd

Well. Thanks for the help on the fuel tank system all. But I started it up for the first time after the card is now in place. I had just finished tuning the carb for idle. Well I was letting it warm all the way up at idle , when I started to he a high pitch knock and then another and so on and from the inside of the van it sounded like a rocker was working itself lose and hitting the valve cover. Well right after I turner it off and the engine came to rest I continued to still he the knocking...wtf? I walk to the front of the van and seen the upper hose shaking and the knocking was coming from the hose. All of a sudden the over flow hose started to release and I realized the knocking was air pocket slamming up to the radiator. I went and grabbed my infer red thermometer and the hottest spot I picked up around the intake thermostat are was 200.3. I'm gonna step back in time here a moment to let you know I replaced the thermostat and all hoses on this beast. I included a picture of what I found once I removed the thermostat housing. It seems that the previous owner has stuck in through the upper hose some type of ceramic sealant and never ran the engine hot enough to get the previous thermostat to open. which it settled and locked up real good. Nasty stuff. Well back to the story. I observed that the fan and clutch are working well, the lower hose is warm to hot and the engine gauge never went past the half way point. The engine coolant is also new and showed good. I have never seen this...any input?

Attached Thumbnails 1976 E250 Thumping of the coolent system.I know..wierd-nasty.jpeg  
Old 01-09-2016, 06:57 AM

From the appearance of the picture, the question is what does the rest of the block look like. It might be a good idea to remove the water pump and look what the passages might have in them. If the coolant passages are blocked, maybe you might be able to open a few and try to manually clean some of them so that a chemical cleaner can get in there and hopefully get some of the residue loose and out. Let's hope no internal damage took place due to overheating.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
From the appearance of the picture, the question is what does the rest of the block look like. It might be a good idea to remove the water pump and look what the passages might have in them. If the coolant passages are blocked, maybe you might be able to open a few and try to manually clean some of them so that a chemical cleaner can get in there and hopefully get some of the residue loose and out. Let's hope no internal damage took place due to overheating.
Were these water pumps known for the propellers to rust away?

Old 01-25-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
great information. THanks for sharing.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:29 PM

I did find that the port to the water pump where block. So its safe to say it needs a new engine. I'm not even going to chance this block for the rebuild.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:32 PM

here is a picture

Attached Thumbnails 1976 E250 Thumping of the coolent system.I know..wierd-20160116_121417%5B1%5D.jpg