Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1989 e150 not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 AM

so a update had to do a job in town yesterday in the lower gear seemed to get goin better up a small overpass when going down got the momentum and stayed going 45 50 but its a city didnt want a ticket on the way home also in the low gear on flat land it suprised me and eventually kicked in and i was going up to 55

Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 AM

santas helpers where are you lol

Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 AM

He certainly knows whether I've been naughty and nice !

Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM

if anyone can help with my update thank ya

Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM

Did you ever check the manual lever position switch on the side of the trans?

Old 12-11-2013, 03:15 PM

no i didnt dont know where it is do u ahve a link thatll show or what shoud i do when i find it

Old 12-11-2013, 06:19 PM

For starters, the linkage from the shift lever inside the vehicle moves a rod under the hood adjacent to the steering column. That rod is connected to the transmission on the driver's side. Also on the trans where the rod attaches to the trans is a black semi-circular switch that moves when the shift position is selected and that tells the computer what gear was selected and the computer activates the appropriate solenoids in the trans to direct hydraulic oil to the proper clutches and other hydraulic components. There is a multi wire plug on that switch and it also allows the vehicle to start in neutral and park positions. It also turns on the reverse lights when "R" selected. If you Google Ford E4OD transmission you can obtain some pix and much better info than I have presented.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:46 PM

most tow companies have the roll back trucks just to prevent such problems and if they don't have that kind of truck then if they must tow it from the front then they usually take the drive shaft loose from the rear end. if they didn't do that then the trans. usually fails. the first thing to check would be the fluid level if it's low then fill it up. if full then smell the dip stick and look at the color of the fluid if it is pink and doesn't smell like a burned oil rig then chances are they did the job right. if the fluid is black or any color other than pink chances are the trans. is fried.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 AM

Well today im going to go down and change tran fluid and filter etc...what kind of tran fluid do i use and im goin to use the lucas additive if there isnt a better one.....back when i put in a new map sensor. Im noticing at idle now the gauge that shows the charge sometimes fluctuates wildly.....could it be the wrong sensor and would that have any effect on the tranny not shifting correct?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:58 AM

Dextron Mercon 3 is the type for your trans that thing should have the E.A.O.D trans. and once the fluid gets changed your shifting problem could still be there. You didn't answer the question of what type of truck the tow company uses if it was a roll back or if it was one that uses a wheel lift. that in itself could be the answer to your problem

Quick Reply: 1989 e150 not shifting