Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1989 f350 petrol running extra rich

Old 06-19-2019, 05:43 PM

Thanks yes found it and replaced it. no change.
Now trying to find OBD 1 outlet but as is an econoline as a motorhome, can't find the self test outlet in engine bay.
Or would it be under dash?

thanks phil

Old 06-20-2019, 07:12 AM

Should be either around the drivers side firewall/master cylinder area. Normally it is plugged into a dead plug holder that has "TEST" on it. Being an Econoline, it may be towards the front by the airbox.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:38 AM

What color is the smoke that is coming out of the tailpipe ? Black, white, blue ?
How is the engine actually running, rough, not too bad just lots of smoke ?

Were you able to confirm if one bank or both banks were running rich? The appearance of a plug from each bank.
Not to discourage you, but if you manage to get any code(s) the most it MIGIHT tell you is a component is out of range.

Were you able to follow up with the MAP sensor?

If you get to obtain any codes you should get the following;
KOEO =key on engine off
KOER = key on engine running
Continuous codes
We should be able to assist you with the description of any codes obtained
One reason I suspect the MAP sensor and connections is, all air coming into the engine is measured by it (Manifold air pressure). If it is giving you a false reading , like too much air,the ECA is attempting to compensate for a lean mixture and allowing way too much fuel. Here again, that is if you are getting black smoke.

At this point I would not rule out the ECA, computer.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:51 PM

Smoke is Black ,
idles a bit rough but will rev up.
sometimes will die when returns to idle.
I will keep looking

thanks
phil

Old 06-20-2019, 06:48 PM

Hi,
Just noticed the exhaust gasket between right header and exhaust pipe has a gap .
Would this cause the O2 sensor to give a false signal?
And yes the spark plugs on each side are black with carbon.

Put a replacement MAP unit in and no noticeable change

phil

Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 PM

Hi,
just got to the exhaust . and gap is minute.

by airbox do you mean air cleaner?
ta

Old 06-21-2019, 07:11 AM

Yes, air cleaner box. The test plug is normally plugged into a black colored holder with "TEST" embossed into it.These were normally mounted at the Air cleaner box, driver's side firewall in the upper corner, but the brake master cylinder or on the drivers side inner fender. Being an Econoline unit, you may have a hunt on your hands due to the limited access to the engine compartment.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:01 AM

I don't know if this will be of any help, but let's at least look at it.

If there is an exhaust leak before the O2 sensor that extra oxygen gets sucked into the exhaust and the sensor sees an abundance of oxygen meaning it is running lean, possibly causing the computer to increase the injector pulse width thereby adding more fuel. This is a possibility, and should not be overlooked. It is one of those things that don't come up too often and a lot of times the computer compensates without much of a problem. Somewhere in the back of my memory I am suspicious of the ECA ,(Engine control computer) but could be wrong there.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:51 AM

Have replaced O2 sensor and map no change. Cannot find the TEST connection or the ECA .
Have looked in engine bay and under dash.
How large is the ECA ? is it a metal box?
thanks
phillip
have been a bit slow in my search due to my old body

Old 07-10-2019, 06:17 PM

In the meantime could you tell us what is the 8th and 10th digit of your vehicle ID # ?

Doing some further checking , the test connector you are looking for on pick ups should be on the right front fender apron , below the starter relay.
As you know by this time Ford is not always consistent ,so we do have to hunt and poke sometimes.

If you can, look on the passenger side firewall under the hood , down low, if you see a plug with a 10mm bolt head in the middle of the plug (approx 3in x 1 in) ,that is the ECA plug. You may need to get under the heater blower motor to see it from the inside .
The ECA comes out after you remove that bolt and plug. It may be held inside with a screw or two, don't recall exactly , too far back in my head.
The dimensions of the ECA are about 1 in thick, 5 in wide x approx 7 in long in a silver metal case. You will know when you see it.

Last edited by hanky; 07-10-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 f350 petrol running extra rich