Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1990 e-150 - Window wiring issue ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:55 AM
Default 1990 e-150 - Window wiring issue ?

Having an issue with my window motors on my 1990 ford e150. I have replaced the switches, and the motors work fine, but intermittently - both of my front switches will go out, sometimes the passenger window works, sometimes the drivers window works, sometimes neither work, and sometimes both work.

Any my suggestions on what it might be that is causing the issue ?

Old 10-12-2018, 08:24 AM

A good percentage of the time when power at the switches was available the wires that flex as the door opens and closes on visual inspection may look OK, but be broken internally. One of the ways to confirm if that is the problem is to tug on the particular wire (color) , if it stretches for you , it is broken internally. Also , make sure there is no trace of corrosion at the fuse relay panels.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
A good percentage of the time when power at the switches was available the wires that flex as the door opens and closes on visual inspection may look OK, but be broken internally. One of the ways to confirm if that is the problem is to tug on the particular wire (color) , if it stretches for you , it is broken internally. Also , make sure there is no trace of corrosion at the fuse relay panels.
yeah it seems like it may be the wiring to me also, because now the passenger window works fine, but the driver window doesn’t work still.

When i I hit the switch I can see my battery volts dip on the gauge too..

are you talking about the fuse panel under the steering column ? I changed the “power window” 20amp fuse thinking that may be the issue but it doesn’t look like any corrosion was on it or the terminals, and if that was the issue it would effect both windows and not just one at a time, right ?

Old 10-13-2018, 05:53 PM

If the battery volts dip when you attempt to operate the switch, I kinda think the motor doesn't want to move. If you showed no indication on the gauge that would lead us to think there is an open in the wiring. At this point I think you may need to get to the motor and just confirm power is getting to it when you operate the switch. Whatever result you get there will determine your next move. If power gets there and ground is good , you could be looking at another motor.