Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1990 E-250 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Default 1990 E-250 Questions

Hi all...total van noob here.

I'm thinking about picking up a '90 E-250 Coachmen Camper. Engine seems strong and not too much is wrong with the "amenities" (plumbing can use some work, but fortunately I know plumbers).

Anyway...it's steering seemed a little unnerving, so I decided to have it checked out by an alignment place. They said the sway bar bushings were worn. I've already replaced sway bar bushings in a Jeep Grand Cherokee....is there anything more difficult with an E-250's bushings? I would probably change the shocks as well. Any recommendations there? Probably don't want to spend Bilstein $$, but also don't want to white knuckle in wind gusts.

The one point of concern by the alignment guy was the dual fuel tank transfer valve leaking (which would explain the gas smell inside). Where would I grab a replacement (closest pick-n-pull is 90mi away, so I'm hoping interweb or Napa) and how's the install? Doable in a few hours for a so-so back-yard mechanic?

If bushings, shocks, and transfer valve are easy fixes, I may drop the $2k and become a "van guy."

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:51 AM

I believe the truck has a double I beam suspension system and what he may be calling the sway bar is the left and right strut arm rubber bushings. They can be tough to replace because you can't get the inner bushings off and install the new ones without removing the large bolt that holds the coil spring to the I beam. Also sometimes the strut arm may be worn where the bushings go and could require replacement. If you get under the vehicle you may be able to see just how much off center the arm and bushings are and they are right behind each front wheel.

whateversclever has a post on this site that will explain all about the fuel problem you see.

Last edited by hanky; 04-30-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Thanks Hanky...I checked out his thread, but it was a little more involved than what I'm hoping is wrong. Napa tells me a 6 port transfer valve is ~ $140 and a 3 port is ~ $40. I'm clearly hoping for a 3 port.

I got under the van yesterday to look for the transfer valve - but I couldn't find it. I thought I read it was on the drivers side beam....is it on pass? I need to get under there again today and count the ports. I also took pics of the front suspension...maybe I'm an idiot but isn't that middle bar a sway bar? Nothing under there looks too destroyed to the naked eye.

I'm starting to think this van could be worth $2k....

Middle:

Drivers Side:

Passenger's Side:

Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 AM

It's a sway bar alright ! If the bushings he is referring to are those that support the bar , all that is involved is to loosen the two bolts that hold the rubber bushings and replace them. The ones I have seen came split and went over the bar and were clamped back up to the chassis. This vehicle has a different type suspension than I have seen on 1990's.
It appears to have a solid axle straight across. How is the condition of the rubber bushings at the links on the end of the sway bar? The cylinder on the steering linkage , a steering stabilizer, could be tired . The only way to check it is to disconnect one end and see if it offers any resistance to movement. If not, it isn't capable of doing its job. How many miles are on this vehicle?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
It's a sway bar alright ! If the bushings he is referring to are those that support the bar , all that is involved is to loosen the two bolts that hold the rubber bushings and replace them. The ones I have seen came split and went over the bar and were clamped back up to the chassis. This vehicle has a different type suspension than I have seen on 1990's.
It appears to have a solid axle straight across. How is the condition of the rubber bushings at the links on the end of the sway bar? The cylinder on the steering linkage , a steering stabilizer, could be tired . The only way to check it is to disconnect one end and see if it offers any resistance to movement. If not, it isn't capable of doing its job. How many miles are on this vehicle?

I think I would replace all bushings on the front end first...followed up by 4 new shocks and new steering stabilizer. It's amazing how much easier it is to find parts for Jeeps! Not many offroad/heavy duty online stores for Econolines. I'm working on getting a TSM (and maybe a part book) so I can order parts online easier.

The tank selector valve install still worries me a little (because there isn't that much info on Econoline specific valves - most of the reading I've done is f-150 relates)...but seems to be a cheap fix for either me or even a mechanic. I think I'm going to pull the trigger today....gives me a month or 2 to work on her before the snow stops flying...

Since I've never had a vehicle with two tanks, and the van isn't in my driveway (yet), I've also had a hard time identifying the selector valve. Is this it:

Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jacksons Hole

I think I would replace all bushings on the front end first...followed up by 4 new shocks and new steering stabilizer. It's amazing how much easier it is to find parts for Jeeps! Not many offroad/heavy duty online stores for Econolines. I'm working on getting a TSM (and maybe a part book) so I can order parts online easier.

The tank selector valve install still worries me a little (because there isn't that much info on Econoline specific valves - most of the reading I've done is f-150 relates)...but seems to be a cheap fix for either me or even a mechanic. I think I'm going to pull the trigger today....gives me a month or 2 to work on her before the snow stops flying...

Since I've never had a vehicle with two tanks, and the van isn't in my driveway (yet), I've also had a hard time identifying the selector valve. Is this it:
That's it. It should unscrew and there should be a filter in there. There should also be an "O" ring to seal the housing when installing the filter and cover.
Two tanks are a nice feature because if the fuel pump in one tank quits you can always switch over to the other tank. One disadvantage is they are now expensive to fill.