Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1991 Ford 250 Falcon High Top Camper Van 19 ft.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Default 1991 Ford 250 Falcon High Top Camper Van 19 ft.

Hello. New here and not sure if this is the correct thread to post in but here goes. We have a 1991 Ford 250 Falcon High Top Camper Van 19 Ft. with about 40,000. miles. We bought it in 2012 in Idaho and drove it back to Ohio. It was in good condition then and we have maintained it very well. The engine size is a 351 Windsor. We use reputable mechanics and all have commented on the overall good mechanical condition of the vehicle.

Here is the problem. (which I suspect is the reason why this style is no longer manufactured.) Due to the design, the vehicle does not handle well at high speeds, especially in crosswinds. We started figuring this out on the long drive back to Ohio. hahaha..lol. We have been told the shocks and leaf springs do not appear to be worn. Also, we were told replacing the shocks and leaf springs would not make very much of a difference in the handling anyway. We thought about adding a rear stabilizer bar, but not sure if that would help either. There is a stabilizer bar on the front.

Here are my questions:
Would it be safe or even possible to add tires and fiberglass fenders to make this single rear axle vehicle a duel rear axle (dually)?
Would this make the vehicle handle better or create an even bigger monster than it already is?
Would this cost more than the vehicle is worth?

I have tried to research this, but not too much was found on the internet. I considered asking one of our expert expensive mechanics but fear being laughed at.
I like the van in spite of its handling problems. I am trying to keep it because it runs great and is affordable. This is a self-contained unit complete with almost all the bells and whistles of that era but I wish it had a 460, darn it. The decals are faded (note to Ford and Chevy...why all the decals?) but it doesn't look terrible.... at least not from a distance. My husband thinks my idea is ridiculous. What do you Ford enthusiasts think?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:34 PM

Something to be aware of;
Any vehicle with a large surface for the wind to work upon is fair game. Even vehicles with dual wheels can be affected by larger passing vehicles .If the steering is not up to par , it might be worth to have that checked since a little extra ply can make the vehicle difficult to keep in a straight line going down the road. Speed as you already know has a great effect on handling especially with wind wanting to move you off the road. I wish I could be more help, but folks with more camper type vehicles may be able to provide some better info.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:00 PM

hanky,

Thank you for your response. I forgot to mention in my post the steering was checked by an area Ford dealership and adjusted to factory specs. We were told replacing the steering box would do little to improve the van's handling because the steering box was fine. The van was also checked for alignment and the rubber grommets that support the front suspension were found to be in good order. This van has that old steering box system, not the newer rack and pinion system. It steers light and quick, kind of like driving a squirrel down the road.

We were familiar with this kind of steering because for many years we owned a half ton 1990 Ford pickup that had the same kind of steering. However, with the van's top heaviness and quick steering, this van is no fun to drive.

The problem with this van is that it, for lack of a better word, wallows.
We are considering replacing the shocks (although they are not leaking), the leaf springs and coils. It stands to reason that if the coils and springs are the original parts they probably need replacing due to their age. I am not sure if this will help the handling or if the wallowing is just the nature of the beast. I suspect the van wallowed on its very first day although probably not to this degree.

Thanks again for your response. Your interest was very much appreciated.