Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1996 E350 5.8 EFI "Small Wiring Problem"

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 09:26 AM
Cool 1996 E350 5.8 EFI "Small Wiring Problem"

Greetings. First post on this fine forum. Attached is a picture of the engine wiring harness for my 1996 E350. If you have a keen eye you may be able to spot the problem...

1996 Ford E350 Wiring harness with signs of packrat damage.

Packrats. The old whale sat for a while and got chewed up- BAD. As you can see, I have repaired this before (yellow wires). This time the little B@stards did a real number on it- especially the injector wires. They ate darned near all of them off clean at the connector- and some of the connectors were junkyarded from the last time- so I now have no way of knowing which wire goes to which injector. Junkyard wants $350 for this wiring harness, and I decided I really don't want to spend that, so I am going to try to repair this. I figured the Ford shop manual should have this information and bought them- but it turns out that this information is not in there, so that was no help. I did order a set of pigtail connectors from the Bald Guy's site, and they seem to be pretty good, so I just need to know which one goes where now.

Does anyone have an intact harness who would be so kind as to take the time to check which color wire goes to which injector? I know 5-8, I just need 1-4, the ones conveniently located under the intake plenum...

Old 04-22-2021, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

I sent the schematics to your email..

Last edited by Hayapower; 04-22-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:00 AM
Thumbs up

You, my good sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. I was pretty sure this would be in the Ford Shop Manuals and dropped $60 on a set, and that was a swing and a miss. At least I now know how to remove every little plastic panel on the rig as a booby prize.

Also: Just to be sure you know- 1996 Ford E350 5.8 (Gas) EFI. I guess the 5.0 EFI should have the same injector wiring, but not sure.

Last edited by E350; 04-22-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

No worries.. Hope the repair goes smooth.
We have rodent problems here, but they generally go after coolant hoses!

Old 04-22-2021, 10:25 AM

OK, I got the schematics, but I am a bit confused. I think my vehicle would fall in the <8600 GVW category. It appears that the over 8600 is wired in dual bank? And under is sequential? Hardly an expert on this, but I am pretty sure this one is sequential. I have read somewhere that the polarity is not an issue, but I am going to try to get them the same as original. Is this true about the polarity not mattering? Don't want to go and burn out an injector solenoid or computer , etc. I am going to dig into the wires and first eliminate those which I know continue on past the injectors to the distributor and such, and then I will know for sure which are leftover for the injectors.

Also: I do have the actual Ford shop manuals. Are these schematics in there and I just did not manage to find them?:

1996 Econoline Shop Manuals

Last edited by E350; 04-22-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Just look at your VCL in the drivers door jamb to determine the correct weight/GVW schematic.
Since you have 4 FI connectors intact you should be able to use the connector view position to wire the connections as OE. There's no connector view available for M/Y.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:21 AM

A little food for thought.
If the injectors are fed power through the red wires, that could eliminate 50% of the problem.Each injector will require a red wire. I would wait until I determined which wires went to each injector then use the best fitting red wire to connect to each injector.

If your schematic shows the PCM, it should show which pin coming from the PCM provides the ground for which injector.
If you use the ohms scale of a multimeter, you should be able to verify which wire from the pin position goes to which injector. Naturally when you get the right wire that is connected to each respective pin in the plug , you should get a "0"ohms reading.You could use either a clip on clothespin or piece of masking tape to show where the wire goes. Let me know if this helps you , thanks.

Last edited by hanky; 04-22-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Found an engine harness/connector overview. Sent ...

Last edited by Hayapower; 04-22-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:00 PM

@Hanky, thanks for the advice. In this case I have already repaired these wires about en years ago, and they are (were) pretty long and the ends were junkyarded so I don't have much to go by.

@Hayapower: Thanks for everything you are doing, I really appreciate the help. This third schematic does not seem to clarify the injector wires, but might be handy to verify some of the other wires which need to be repaired Here are the wires sorted out some. Pretty sure I have the 8 injector wires in the center. Second pic is my VIN tag- minus the actual VIN- I don't trust the internet. Says 9500 GVW, but I am pretty sure this engine is not bank wired as it says in the >8500 gvw schematic. I have 4 different injector wire colors.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:55 PM

>Red Wire

I had replied earlier, but it has not cleared yet. Anyways, disregard what I was thinking on the pic on that post, it appears that this engine IS dual bank wired, and one of the red wires is the hot wire for the injectors, and the tan wires are cylinders 1&4 white wires are 2&3. I confirmed this by checking continuaty to the known injector wires on cylinders 5-8. The rest of the wires continue through to the distributor and some other motengators on that side of the engine. Thanks for the help. I may be asking about a couple of the other wires I can not identify still. I will poke around with the meter and see if I can figure it out before I ask though.

Quick Reply: 1996 E350 5.8 EFI "Small Wiring Problem"