Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1999 E 150 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 AM

When you remove the plug from either coli pack, and turn the key on, there should be 12 volts (battery voltage) to the center hole only. That hole is fed from the ign /start system. The other terminals on the plug are the coil driver connections from the PCM. There should be no voltage present at either of the outer holes of the plug. Please check both and let us know what you have.
Also while you are in there, with the key on,check one or two of the injector plugs and one of those two wires at the injector plug should have 12 volts present. What do you have?
When cranking, measure the voltage between the two terminals of any one of the injector plugs to verify that the PCM is grounding the injector so it can operate. Again let us know what you have.

Last edited by hanky; 03-10-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 AM

I have power to the center hole of both coil pack connectors and I don't have power to the injector plugs, it won't light the test light but if I put the meter on it I get .86v. I tried the two rear injectors on the left bank.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 AM

The coils and injectors are both supplied power from the power relay. My concern at this time is with no load on the circuit even if one strand of wire is connected the meter will read 12 volts, but as soon as a load is applied the voltage drops and things will not work. Does your owner's manual show where the power relay is located? If so we need to start there and confirm we have 12 volts coming in and 12 volts going out with the key on. That voltage now goes to the coils and the injectors. There is insufficient voltage going to the injectors, the problem is to determine if you disconnect the coils and if the voltage to the injectors now reads 12 volts there is an open or bad connection coming either to or from the power relay contacts that feed the coils and injectors. Can you pull back the fuse block and see what those connections back there look like? Also if you can check the plugs and wiring to the injector harness for any spots where the wire may have rubbed through on something. I am trying to find a wiring diagram to see just where the connections are fed.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Check the MAF connector for 12V?

If not there the PCM power relay isn't closing.. The PCM power and fuel relays should click when the key is cycled on/off. If the PCM power doesn't open/close, then it should be back towards the CJB, BJB fuse and power distributions..

Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 AM

I have no power to the MAF sensor. I'm waiting for a second set of hands to see if the relays click when the key is cycled. The crankshaft sensor is disconnected at the moment, will that affect power to the MAF sensor. I pulled the crank sensor out, I figured for $22.00 bucks I'll replace it

Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 PM

The PCM relay clicks but the fuel pump relay does not. When I pull the fuel pump relay it has 12v at the one terminal

Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

If the key is cycled ON and the PCM relay closes, you should have '2' 12v applications at the fuel relay connector..

You don't always need a second set of hands, as a 'quick check' you can just cycle the ket to ON, then remove/install the relay/s and you'll hear and feel them click. Doesn't mean their good meaning they may not be powering a circuit,, but an indication they are powered/cycling..

No, on the MAF and crank sensor disconnect.. Check the #9 30 amp fuse in the BJB.. Its the load or feed from the BJB through the PCM relay (contacts closed) on out to the MAF, injectors etc.. Also,, with the key ON, make sure there are '2' 12v applications on the PCM power relay connector.

I'd hold off the cranks sensor until the power distribution is figured out. No need spending money replacing parts..

Last edited by Hayapower; 03-10-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:42 PM

crank position sensor replaced with no change. The test light only gets power on one of the 5 terminals for the fuel pump relay socket. Still no check eng light and volt guage reads low (just over 8v) and no power at injector plugs

Last edited by Dwayne Gessner; 03-10-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

What voltage does your meter read at the battery now?

Same thing a the PCM relay connector.. 8V at the panel gauge, or your test meter?

Old 03-10-2013, 02:21 PM

11.50v at the battery,11.05v at the PCM relay, 11.49v at the fuel pump relay and .88v at injector plug and just over 8 on the dash meter. i didn't check the voltage at the dash guage with my meter.

Last edited by Dwayne Gessner; 03-10-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 1999 E 150 won't start