Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2000 E-150 4.2L-few issues after rebuild.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Default 2000 E-150 4.2L-few issues after rebuild.

Hello Ford Fans! This is my first thread and I'm kind of long winded! My 4.2L spun 2 rod bearings in Nov. 2011 with 114,000m. My company is short on funds , so I did all the work myself. Did Mains, Rods, Rings, Crank, 2 Rods, 2 Pistons, Water Pump, Oil Pump, ALL Gaskets, and Honed Cylinders. I just changed the oil and filter after 800 miles on rebuild. It was burning 1-2qts a month before rebuild and none now. I was hoping to get a little power or fuel economy, but they haven't changed.

So now the issues..Until it gets up to full temperature, it makes a loud noise during acceleration, that sounds like a torque converter bolt scraping against the bell housing. It changes with RPM. It's loud enough to turn heads from sidewalks. Forward and reverse. After it's up to temp, no noise. Ever heard a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle? I'm hoping it's a Catalytic Converter shield vibrating, but I'm probably wishing. Need to take the doghouse off and power brake it to see.

Issue #2..I borrowed a Cam Sensor Alignment tool from my local ford dealer and set it before I put the heads back on, so I know #1 was at TDC, but when I start the van at full temperature it acts like it's advanced (ruuhh, ruhhh-fire). When cold, it fires quickly (normal). This could also be because I snapped the signal post off the starter and had to drill and tap it. So do I tear the air box and hoses back off again to double check the sensor alignment? Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Steve