Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2003-2005 E450 Platform questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Default 2003-2005 E450 Platform questions

Hi all-I've been tossing around a few ideas for a while about buying a decommissioned school bus, converting it to 4WD and using it as a camper for for hunting and surf fishing. While I probably could get by in most places with aggressive rear tires (aired down) and a locker, most beaches that allow vehicle access require 4WD, so 2WD is just not an option. Converting the medium duty full size buses to 4WD is very expensive endeavor as they require at least a 2.5 ton drive axle up front which means a lot of lift, transfer case options get very pricey, etc...

On the other hand, E450 van based buses like this one:

Should be relatively easy to convert. I'm currently looking for wrecked 2003-2005 Super Duty 4x4s in order to source a front axle and 5R110 transmission/transfer case. I had an F350 7.3L (Hence the handle) for a while so I am somewhat familiar with Super Duty trucks and Powerstroke diesels, but not so much with the E450 platform. I'm hoping that I can get some answers to basic questions that will help me plan my build:
  • What are my options for lifting the rear 2-3"? When I search "E450 lift" I get a lot of hits for airbags. I've never had any experience with them before but it looks like a simple bolt on affair. Do airbags actually provide lift by expanding the distance between the spring arch the bumpstop, or do they simply prevent sagging when loaded? I don't need a lot of lift as I plan to tub the fenderwell and trim the outer body as much as I can-in fact, I may even be able to clear my tires without lifting, but the airbags might still be a good idea anyway. These are the tires I'll be running:

I will be converting the rear to singles as these will handle 5070lbs per tire @65 psi-the rear axle on the E450 bus is rated for 9500lbs.
  • I will likely be loaded right up to GVWR (14,500), or darn close to it most of the time as the bus will contain four bunks, a shower, a toilet, a generator, water tanks, four passengers, and gear. What kind of highway performance can I expect from a healthy 6.0L? Keep in mind that I'll be rolling on 38" tall tires that weigh about 130lbs (tire and wheel) each, and from what I can tell the rear gears are usually either 4.10 or 4.56. Besides a good exhaust temp gauge, what would be some other "must have" mods? I don't need to go fast, but want to be able to do 65 MPH on the flats and mild grades.
  • Are 2WD and 4WD 5R110s the same? In other words, can I simply swap out the tailhousing of the 2WD 5R110 in the bus for the transfer case from the donor truck, or will I have to swap the entire transmission/transfer case in?

I appreciate any information you all can give me on this project. I've been contemplating it a long time. There are a lot of fullsize bus conversions out there, and even a few 4x4s that utilize Rockwell axles and transfer cases, but I just don't have the $$$ or the equipment to move that stuff around! These E450 buses are a lot easier to work with a lot more familiar.