Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

92 Conversion Van Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 AM

Did you move any of the wires on the dist cap?
If so, There is only one sure way to get this right.
It involves removing the #1 spark plug which is a pain because it is under the battery and difficult to get to.
Find and clean the timing mark for 0 TDC on the crank pulley.
Crank the engine with the dist cap off and listen for the compression puff that should come from the open #1 cyl. When you hear /feel the compression pressure starting to come out stop and finish turning the engine by hand in the same direction with the alt pulley until the timing mark on the crank shaft pulley lines up with the pointer over the pulley. When you get them lined up at the 0/TDC mark the rotor in the dist should be pointing to the #1 cyl. That is where you start with the #1 spark plug wire and going counterclockwise on the cap in the firing order for the 5.0 engine,15426378.It can be a pain to do this and is easier with a remote starter switch or a second person at the ign switch. Just be careful around any/all moving parts when cranking the engine.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:42 AM

Hanky you're the best! The #1 was moved 180 degrees. I was able to feel the compression, and just do the firing order starting on the opposite side!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:28 AM

You didn't say anything about how it ran, hopefully like it should. That little 5.0 was much better than the 5.8 for mileage. Didn't have all the get up and go , but it did the job just as good and for less. It's always nice to offer help and hear when it worked out. You did a good job and thanks for the update. HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 PM

Hanky,

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! The engine is running smoothly now. I'm going to buy new wires and install them. I still have to figure out what is causing the 332 code to come up, and find a connection to an oxygen sensor that the wire was cut on.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:43 PM

When you get into the O2 sensor wiring, let me know what you have and maybe I might be able to offer some info where the wiring comes from and goes to.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Hey Hanky,

I changed out my spark plug wires today and my car is running a lot smoother. I also drove my van around last night for about 15-20 minutes and the check engine light no longer came back on!

Name:  Van19.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  97.4 KB

Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM

It's always a good idea to keep a maintenance log of when these things were done. It serves as a reminder when something comes up and we can refer back to know exactly when and what the mileage was when they were done. Nice to purchase a vehicle when you have some idea when items were replaced, what do you think?

Old 11-30-2012, 03:59 PM

Hanky I will do that! It seems you're the only one posting here so i really appreciate it! I have not gotten to the 02 sensor yet, but when i was driving my car around after changing the wires the engine was making a sputtering noise. I uploaded a video on youtube so you could listen to the sound to see if you can try to help me out. It did not happen all the time, but would occur from time to time while accelerating

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM

First, there appears to be a courtesy among most of us responders that we try to let whoever starts responding to a post handle it unless we can see a real problem. This is a very unusual site and most if not all regular responders usually refrain from injecting unless it would be of some help . Just because no one else replies to your posts does not mean they aren't reading them, they are just being courteous. Believe me, there have been MANY times, I was glad to have someone assist me with trying to help someone .
I tried to listen to the video, but I couldn't tell very much from what I heard. If anyone else has listened to it, this is one of those times I need some help !
Would you describe the performance as a miss or maybe something else?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Hanky,

Sorry i've been away for a while. I found that the 02 sensor is more than likely just a plug for a different header that was placed on the motor. In regards to the engine it feels like the engine is being flooded or something like that. It is just not running at full power. Not exactly sure how to describe it.

Quick Reply: 92 Conversion Van Build