Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Bad torque converter or trans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 11:00 PM
Default Bad torque converter or trans?

So i replaced the head gaskets on my 06 e250 and when i pulled the transmission off i wasnt aware that the torque converter must be attatched to the trans at all times, so i destroyed the front pump, so i dropped the trans replaced the front pump and it ran great all of 10 minutes before trans started overheating and wouldnt move, so i once again dropped the trans replaced the front pump because i thought maybe i did it wrong, and it still wont move pls help i really need to sell this thing asap.

Old 06-17-2023, 10:42 AM

Certain solenoids need to be activated for the pump pressure to go where it is needed.
You `would do much better if you had a capable scan tool to tell you if certain info is going where it is needed..

Old 06-17-2023, 02:43 PM

well i dont have acess to one, i just got a new torque converter and i think im going to do that because i think it might have got destroyed when I installed it wrong the first time. Also there was a lot of black powder when i popped of the trans oil pan

Old 06-18-2023, 08:42 AM

If you never removed the trans pan before, paste in the bottom of the pan is somewhat normal due to thrust washer and clutch disc wear.Should be cleaned out before assembly . The torque converter has 2 tangs that must engage with the slots in the pump drive gear on assembly. When it does you will feel/see the torque converter go all the way in and rotate freely. If you do drop the pan , you might consider purchasing a filter kit for that exact trans. They come with a filter , seal and pan gasket.
No adhesive is to be used to hold the gasket to the pan. Cleanliness is essential !

Old 06-18-2023, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If you never removed the trans pan before, paste in the bottom of the pan is somewhat normal due to thrust washer and clutch disc wear.Should be cleaned out before assembly . The torque converter has 2 tangs that must engage with the slots in the pump drive gear on assembly. When it does you will feel/see the torque converter go all the way in and rotate freely. If you do drop the pan , you might consider purchasing a filter kit for that exact trans. They come with a filter , seal and pan gasket.
No adhesive is to be used to hold the gasket to the pan. Cleanliness is essential !
I did get a new filter and I am aware of the 2 tangs now so I’m gonna install this new torque converter and hope for the best

Old 06-20-2023, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
ok so i installed the the trans again with the torque converter i got from the junkyard and purged all the lines of air so obviously the front pump still works, but now it wont move unless you gun it to 3000 rpms and then it only crawls so im assuming the torque converter is bad?

Old 06-21-2023, 06:27 AM

That pump must develop good pressure and unless you get some pressure readings , you could be pulling the trans AGAIN.