Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

depressurize fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Default depressurize fuel system

hello;

I am going to change the fuel filter on my van for the first time.

How do I depressurize the fuel system?

And, any tips on what to expect when changing my filter.

Thanks,

Econobug.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 PM

The recommended way is to remove the fuel pump fuse, start the vehicle and let it run for the 2or 3 seconds until it quits , try restarting it again, then when it won't start the pressure has been released and you can begin to change the filter.After the job is done reinstall the fuse, turn the key on once or twice to allow the in tank pump to fill the filter and charge the line. After starting the vehicle check for any leaks in the filter area.
What I have always done and found it to save some time is strike the area where the inertia switch is located at the passenger side kick panel. You will hear the switch ball roll and that disconnects the fuel pump electrical supply. Then the same start and run to release the pressure etc., except when your done all you have to do is reset the inertia switch. It's a good way to remind you where the switch is located and how to check it . If you ever have a no start condition, it should be one of the first things you check especially if someone tapped your vehicle in a parking lot and when you come out and it won't start.
You can also expect to get some gasoline running out of the lines as you disconnect them. On that year just insert the new enclosed nylon clips in the ends before you connect them to the replacement filter assy. Then all you do is push them on the filter until you hear the positive click and they are locked. Give a little tug on the lines to make sure they are all the way on and can't come off.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 PM

thanks hanky.

What I should have asked when I first posted, was, where to find the fuel pump relay.

However, I shall get myself familiar with the inertia switch.

Again, thanks.

Econobug.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 PM

The fuel pump relay is located under the hood on the passenger side just over / behind the battery. The ECA relay is there too and they are both the same kind of relay,interchangable.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 PM

thanks again hanky;

I am just getting to know my van a little more now. Have found my EEC test connector and shall be attempting to read some codes.

I did find my inertia switch. Could not figure out a way to trip it though. Therefore I shall depressurize my fuel lines via the fuel pump relay.

Thanks again,

Econobug.

Last edited by econobug; 08-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.