Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E350 High Beams both out

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Default E350 High Beams both out

Greetings!
I've got a 2002 E350 Econoline XLT, 5.0 FI engine, 121K miles, with a problem and I can sure use some help.
The high beams don't work. The low beams both work. The low beams stay on with the FTP lever, then go out with the High Beam pushed forward at the MFS. I replaced both bulbs this morning and no change. I checked all fuses in the fuse box and power distribution box, including removing and inspecting several - including #30. I get about 12V at fuse 30 when the lights are turned on and MFS is either pushed forward or FTP. There is no blue light high beam indicator on the dash at any setting. I don't know about a separate relay for high beams, is there?
I'm just about out of ideas except for tracing wires. In that case, does anyone have a diagram to show the wire path? I can start to search there.
Thanks again!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:55 PM

I believe there is a hi beam relay . If you have the owner's manual it will show you which relay that is and it's location in the fuse /relay section. If not just Google Ford vehicle owner;s manual and pick the manual for your vehicle.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:40 PM

I checked for wiring diagrams, and couldn't find a Hibh Beam relay. So, I did some trouble shooting with the meter. I deduced that it was good past the fuse 35 and to the firewall. I disconnected the multipoint connector and pinned out the light green and black wire. I then deduced that there was an unidentified short somewhere between the harness and the lights (as far as I can tell the wiring runs along t he top of the firewall from driver to passenger side, then runs down under the battery tray). I accepted that there was no way I was going to be able to check the wire all the way, so I spliced at the bulb wire plugs and ran a new wire from the firewall connector to both lights. So, now the MFS, high beam, low beam, and parking lights all work. The dash blue high beam light doe not work, but, I figure that's ok - as long as it passes the state inspection coming up!