Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

e350 van wont start ! help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
The ign switch sends power to the relays and computer. If the engine will crank and you have no power to the coil you might want to check that ign switch that is located on the steering column under the dash.
ok how do i check it to make sure it is working the way it is spost to work ? i know when i turn the key the motor turns over every time . but sometimes the check engine light dont come on and when that happens is when there is no power to anything but the motor still turns over just dont start

Last edited by briane350; 05-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 AM

I believe you were able to check for power to the coil previously so is it safe to assume you have a test lite or voltmeter?
Both the EEC relay and the fuel pump relay have a fuse in each of their supply wires which are the yellow wires coming to each of those relays. You need to make sure that they have power available to them at those yellow wires. Do they both have power to them with the key on?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 AM

ok i checked the relays and they have power on the yellow wires yes i use a test lite.i hope im checking the right one they are the ones up by the battery right?they have power even when the key is off when the key is on they have power too

Old 05-13-2012, 01:05 PM

You have the correct relays.
Now take the relay that has a red wire going to it and a light blue and orange wire, see if that red wire lites your test lite. It should. If that is OK then you can ground that light blue and orange wire and the fuel pump should run and you will be able to hear it.
Let me know what you get.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:11 PM

i got it running it ran fine for almost 3 hours (here is what i did ) the big bunch of wires on the drivers side i moved them and the check engine light came back on and it ran fine so i tried to put everything back together and it wont start back again. i tried to move them wires again but now i have nothing . think a wire could be broke in there or something not grounding out right again ?

Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 PM

I maintained a whole fleet of these Econolines, but it was a while back and I am trying to recall what was on the driver's side with a clump of wires and the only thing that comes to mind is the fuse panel. There can be a corrosion problem either within the panel or behind it. Also there may be a multi-connector plug that goes in there, if so separate it and even if you can't see any corrosion spray some WD 40 or a good penetrating oil on the pins and reinstall the plug. At this point if that doesn't help you are going to have to check all power wires and grounds one at a time.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 AM

would putting in a used wireing harness fix this problem?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Before you go changing wiring harnesses why not check all the connections ?
It would be a shame to go through all that trouble only to find the poor connection where the harness ends. What do you think?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM

your right i found one and found one broken wire got it running and starting fine now but if i drive it 30 minutes it gets hot and shutes down then you have to sit hour and a half for it too cool down and restart what would make that happen

Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 PM

When you say gets hot, does that mean the temp gauge goes all the way over to HOT ?
Or do you mean after the engine runs a while it quits and won't restart?
Did you move the distributor any? If so, timing will need to be checked and reset.
If it just quits after a while of running, that could be a problem with the coil, pick-up coil in the dist, or possibly a bad solder joint in the computer. When it does quit do you have fuel and spark? Which one is absent? That will tell us which direction to go.

Quick Reply: e350 van wont start ! help