Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Econoline Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:39 AM
Default Econoline Questions

HAPPY HOLIDAYS... I am researching doing my due diligence / homework... I want to purchase good conversion van... most likely a 1/2 ton model... Ford Econoline E150 as example... I am looking at early to mid 2000's Ford Econolines possibly mid to late 90’s models as well...

Aside from the radiator/coolant system, breaks, tires, shocks and the typical 4.6L and 5.4L maintenance stuff…

I would like to know the expected maintenance issues near or at the 100,000 mile mark... As I am looking on Craigslist and Autotrader and other sites for a good candidate... I am seeing some Ford Econolines... and I am using one advertisement as example with parts replaced that I would not necessarily expect such as: newly replaced ball joints, steering box, steering coupler, steering gear, power steering pump, and bushings...

I don't see these parts listed as replaced on all advertisements but I have seen these sort of parts replaced on more than just one Econoline and now I would like to make a comprehensive list of problem areas requiring such parts and work that may be needed.

I am inviting feedback regarding steering and suspension parts and other problem areas and parts that are typically needing attention at the 100,000 mark on Econolines..?

Thank you,

Mike

Old 11-22-2017, 01:32 PM

Mike, it is almost impossible to provide the info you are requesting because if I gave you 5 Econolines that were used differently and maintained differently you would have 5 different results. You need to examine/ review each vehicle based on what you find when checking it out. There is the typical used only on Sunday, just went to the store, versus the guy that pulled a house on an overloaded trailer, went bah hah with it or his employee drove it like he did because it wasn't his. IMHO you should judge each one based on what you see, hear, past maintenance records etc. Always a good idea to have your trusted mechanic/tech take a look at it also !

Old 11-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Default more questions

Dear Hanky:

Sounds like very good advice… YES, I was planning on having a mechanic inspect it... meanwhile I'm just exercising some Risk Management…

It’s been awhile but in the past I have own a 1987 F250 2wd and then a 1992 F150 4wd mostly for work but not really over worked, Just carting tools around and never towed anything. I did put plenty of miles on them… I then switched to a 1991 Toyota truck and 1995 Toyota truck respectfully…

I’ve owned mostly small cars since then but now, I really want a conversion van..!

FYI.. I am looking for a conversion van... To make a few modifications for comfort’s sake including electrical and usb outlets… I want to use the van as a daily driver, day trips/road trips possibly more… Think beatnik with a paycheck situation..! HA..!

Another question… If you were looking for another van and had the option for an extremely nice garage kept 1987 Econoline w/302ci, auto trans with less than 75,000 miles for sale by original owner or something from a newer generation, how would you choose..?

Do you see the 1987 Econoline as still being every day practical or something that’s a little too dated..?

Do you see the 1987 Econoline as possibly being more durable...? C6 vs. electronic OD… I did have a malfunction Electronic OD in my 1992 F150… where my 1987 F250 (one great work truck) with a manual trans ran all day/every day like a raped ape..! It just rusted out due to the salty roads of Pennsylvania.

Do you see the wiring harness and connections the 1987 Econoline as still being dependable for every day use..?

Also… between now and March 2018 there should be an increase in inventory of conversion vans… people tend accumulate them and then get rid of them for tax credits… I’m told…

Mike

Old 11-23-2017, 08:18 AM

The older vans were very dependable like your 87 pick up. They did have their usual problems with normal wear and rear items with rubber suspension bushings , soft valve guides in the heads.If maintained they performed better than some of the newer ones.
You could have some problems getting parts though , but you probably could do a lot of your own work too since they weren't that difficult to work on. If you plan to drive out of your area , don't know if replacement parts would be available.
It is a tough decision and only you know what you want .