Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Econovan using a lot of fuel and spells of petrol

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:16 PM
Default Econovan using a lot of fuel and spells of petrol

Hi guys,

Im wondering if anyone could help me.
I have a:
Econovan
1.9 petrol (carby)

Basically it seems to be using lots of fuel! And we have a smell of petrol when we are driving.
I wonderd if there are any tips to get the fuel economy better and stop the fuel smell.
This may not be connected but we have had an issue in the past were at idle, if I dont rev the engine cuts out. This is an intermittent issue so hasnt been properly diagnosed but a garage did change the air/fuel mixture and not it idles with lower revs.

I am in Australia using the van to travel in so the more economical the better.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2018, 01:30 PM

Sometimes when the fuel vapor control system is not working correctly the vapors get out and can become a problem.
Some models had a charcoal canister that is supposed to contain vapors coming from the fuel tank. Not sure just what kind of system is on your vehicle, but it might be a good idea to look for the charcoal canister (usually enclosed in white plastic type case). As the vehicle ages and hoses are exposed to hi heat they have a tendency to crack or come loose permitting (vapours) vapors to be released to the atmosphere . Programming in the vehicle permits those vapors to be burned when certain conditions are met. If a solenoid that is supposed to open at a certain time is stuck open the vehicle engine can develop a rich condition when running , lowering mileage.
and, if stuck open may allow vapors to escape when parked. A thorough check of all hoses related to the fuel system is in order.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:57 PM

Thank you very much for getting back to me Hanky.
I'll be sure to try everything you suggested.

Thanks