Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Default HELP!!!!

'99 E150, 4.6 ltr., A&J conversion, 85,000 miles, Just purchased in July.....
First off, I have a groaning/clunking noise coming from under the front end. This may sound weird, but you can't really hear it. You mostly feel it though the steering wheel. I just installed brand new upper and lower ball joints and everything looks and feels tight under there. The ball joinst were horribly worn and I figured replacing them would solve the problem. I was wrong. The allignment is good, shocks feel good, and there is no visible sign of anything bad. I'm guessing it's either some kind of front suspension bushings that have worn out or something has gone wrong with the steering box. Any ideas????
Second, I recently evacuated my A/C system and re-filled it with the proper refrigerant using the proper connections and gauges. It's not blowing as cold as I think it should. It just barely keeps you comfortableon a 90 degree day. Also, it takes about 5minutes for the air to get even somewhat cool. I won't even call it cold. I'm not a A/C tech, so what else could be causing the system not to function at it's full capability. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Default RE: HELP!!!!

Why and howdid you evacuate your system? Did you pull a vacuum of at least a 29.9 hg? After pulling the vacuum, did you make sure that the system held the vacuum? You don't mention that you re-installed the correct amount of refrigerant, just the correct type.Thus, you could have too much air/moisture in the system, or a leak that would have mormally showed up after pulling the vacuum and seeing if the system would hold it.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 PM

Well, forget about the A/C system for now. It started working pretty well anyway's. Doesn't anybody have any suggestions about the front suspension? It's really more of a concern for me any how. I know I'm not the only E150 or F150 owner that has had issues with front suspension noise.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 PM

Try spraying any and all of the rubber bushings and mountsyou can find with silicone. If the groaning goes away, it's probably a tired bushing. The OEM bushings are made from rubber instead of poly thus get hard, shrink nad groan with age.