Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Need to Identify and Disconnect This Wire Ford E350

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Default Need to Identify and Disconnect This Wire Ford E350

Recently got a 1999 Ford E350, found this cord wrapped around the frame where I need to put on a receiver hitch, I ran along the wire and found what looks to be a place to disconnect it but it's dusty/hard to see what I'm dealing with.

Can anyone help me out with this one?

The wire wrapped around the frame where I need to put receiver hitch on.

The connector I'm talking about

Another angle of the connector

This piece was able to slide off the connector, it looked like it was what was holding the connector together but it appears to actually serve no purpose

Old 07-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Looking at the wire colors it looks like the harness for the trailer connector. Not sure why it was wrapped around the frame. The ribbed push pin is there so the harness connector can be held in place at a cross member or frame hole location.. Generally if the connector carried a ribbed pin, it was to secure the connector, but wasn't always the case..

Old 07-23-2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Looking at the wire colors it looks like the harness for the trailer connector. Not sure why it was wrapped around the frame. The ribbed push pin is there so the harness connector can be held in place at a cross member or frame hole location.. Generally if the connector carried a ribbed pin, it was to secure the connector, but wasn't always the case..

Should I just cut it? I don't want to chance that it's for lights or anything important. But the fact it's wrapped on the frame means it may likely be for a trailer as I do not see the wires going up towards lights.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:59 AM

No , don't cut it !! That is the plug for your 4 flat trailer lights !

Old 07-27-2019, 12:01 PM

I don't know a lot about trailer lights for the E 350 yet . But I know that is where you plug in for just a 4 flat connector harness. Can you unwrap it from the frame ?

Old 07-27-2019, 12:11 PM

This is where mine is . its above the rear axle , drivers side

This isn't a good location pic. But it is a factory plug on the E350 it has the same termination/protector cap that has theribbed plastic stud that secures it to the frame.
I have been watching eTrailer vids on you tube. There is a good one for the 06 E350 van. Its about 16 min long.
I'm not sure the differences between the 99 and 06 vans. But it may be worth your time. I'll see if I can attach a link to the vid.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:45 PM

I agree,,, never cut any wires that you definitely don't know where they go.

I believe from looking at the wire colors in the easy to see pix, that they could be for a trailer hook up.

Usually,
Black= ground
yellow= left or rt signal light
green= left or rt signal light
Brown= tail lights
Is it possible for you to unplug the connector and reroute the cable so it will not interfere with your hitch mounting ?
Anytime we have wires crossing a sharp edge we always try to protect them with either wire loom made just for that purpose or a piece of rubber hose so the wires can't be damaged by the sharp edge.