Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Pitman to center drag link ball joint loose. steering loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Default Pitman to center drag link ball joint loose. steering loose

I had the wife turn left and right while I watched, and saw allot of slop at the pitman arm ball-joint connecting to the center steering link.
I'm assuming the center link needs to be replaced since it "looks" like the ball joint is permanently attached to it. Not the pitman.

Is this a difficult job? I assume I have to remove the tie rod ends and remove the entire assembly. Then realign after reinstalled.

Any tips relating to this job? Or center link brands I should avoid or prefer? AC delco, RAYBESTOS, MOTORCRAFT, MEVOTECH? at rockauto

I don't mind paying for quality.. But are all those brands going to have the same quality ball joint material? Or is there a rebuildable BJ for the center drag link?

Thanks

Old 05-12-2013, 02:03 PM

Most major auto supply stores carry a reasonable quality steering center link since you don't want to mess around with steering quality. Something you can look into , however, and that is the tool to force the studs out of the tapered holes. Pickle forks work ,but have a tendency to destroy the rubber cups on the pieces you will be reusing.
The links are generally a fixed dimension and alignment isn't usually required unless there is a problem elsewhere. If you tighten the nuts to line up the holes for the cotter pins go slow so you don't have to back off the nut to line up the holes. Backing off is considered a no-no. Take your time and with the right tools it's a pretty easy job.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Most major auto supply stores carry a reasonable quality steering center link since you don't want to mess around with steering quality. Something you can look into
Rockauto has them ranging from $34 to $104. Whats the difference?

however, and that is the tool to force the studs out of the tapered holes. Pickle forks work ,but have a tendency to destroy the rubber cups on the pieces you will be reusing.
Iv seen how a sharp whack of a Big F Hammer removes them without the tool.

The links are generally a fixed dimension and alignment isn't usually required unless there is a problem elsewhere.
I have to unscrew the old center drag link from the Tie rod end clamped sleeve to replace it. I would lose my alignment when I remove it.

Take your time and with the right tools it's a pretty easy job.
Yup. I figured I didn't need any if the tie rod ends cam out with the BFH. But I still think I need a realignment after unscrewing the tie rod end from the center link.