Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Rough Start - But Only Sometimes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 10:18 AM
Default Rough Start - But Only Sometimes!

I have 1995 Ford Econoline with the 5.8l that is exhibiting some strange symptoms. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Van always 100% of the time starts up fine first thing in the morning. After driving even a short distance start up will be rough but only sometimes. I will try to be as descriptive as possible. Again this doesn't happen all the time but I would say at least 50% of the time once the van has been driven. Engine will crank fine but starts very very rough.. think chug chug chug... after a second or two the van will either stall out or everything will just sync up and start humming along. tapping the gas sometimes helps and other times makes things worse. The van will start on the second try about 90% of the time. The times that the van does start rough I notice it continues to run less smoothly than if it started up with no problems... not rough but just not as smooth... for instance the trans will shift a little rougher and acceleration at WOT will be off... it still runs good but not as good as when it starts on the first try. All of this leads me to believe a sensor or computer issue but I'm just not sure where to start. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:31 AM

Speaking for myself, I would need a crystal ball to offer a worthwhile suggestion.
The info you have provided is problem only. What we need is some vehicle maintenance history.
There are certain very basic maintenance requirements that we have no idea if they have been done.
Even then we need how long the problem has existed and if any maintenance has helped. Sometimes questionable parts get installed or installed incorrectly , and assuming ,"Its new , can't be defective" can suck one right into a rabbit hole. What this all adds up to is whoever is doing the work needs to know what they are doing and does it right.
A lot of folks are ready to blame a sensor or the computer when a good part of the time neglected maintenance is the cause. So , help us out a little and provide some maintenance history, thanks.