Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Running Too Hot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Default Running Too Hot?

I have a 90 E250 extended V8 (not sure which size) econoline. During highway driving at temps up to 85 or so the meter sits right around the "m" in the word normal that is on the meter (this is the middle). But when it gets hotter or at any temp if I start to climb a decent hill the temp increases to and sometimes just past the "L" in normal. This is still within the brackets of whats considered normal but higher than I would like to see it. I had the system checked for leaks (pressure test) and there are none. The fan clutch is good, the pump and cap were replaced within the year, and I know the thermostat is opening fine leaving only the radiator. My question is am I over reacting. I used to have the exact same model and year van and I never had this problem with the heat. I was always impressed actually at how constant it was. So what is up with my new (used) van? Is there anything else other than the radiator that could be the problem. Is it a problem where its at? It doens't show any signs of heating up at idle. Any help would be appreciated

Marc

Old 07-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Default RE: Running Too Hot?

I see u posted some time back , Dont know if the problem still bugs you , I would suggest 2 things, 1st I would put a mechanical temp gauge on the ole girl that way you really know whats going on, On these elec units I have seen the senders vary in resistince an that will effect the gauge reading , an the gauge may be off calib.,, 2nd with it being that old I would suggest having the Rad. flushed, not one of those you do it your self deals like u get at the parts store, but take it to a Rad shop have it pulled --or u pull it an have it flushed.. Also does it have AC, I have seen trash build up behind the AC condenser between the Rad. an cut off air flow. there should be a 15 degree temp diff between the lower rad. hose an the upper . They sell these cool lil stick on temp charts that darken when they reach a set temp . I have found these very helpful in the past. also nowdays you can get an hand held temp gauge at u aim an point at various componets there a tad pricey for the average car owner, but man they work graet if theres a heat issue of anytype where its brake rotor temp , how well the ac works , checxking for a blocked hose the list goes on

Old 08-26-2005, 01:01 AM

I got a problem with my van when im on the freeway it seems ok, but around town it gets up the hot point at idle and sometimes when driving then it goes back down real quick to the middle. The prev owner had the waterpump replaced 2 years ago, so i think its fine the only thing ive noticed is that the radiator is starting to form some build up. I am going to replace it and see what happens with the gauge at that point.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:02 AM

If it cools down , going down the freeway , means you gets lots of air flow. Does the temp. go way up sitting at a red lite ?? , An also when your driving real slow like 15-20 MPH ?, Or like at the Drive Thru - , So Iam thinking your fan clutch is bad,,,," With The ENGINE OFF " Grab the fan as see if it turns pretty free, It should have some resistance to it . , Another way to check is start up the eng. work the throttle from outside the van, After about 2 minutes at high idle around 2000 RPM , It should be hot enough to get the T-stat to open, Roughly another Minute or so , The Fan Clutch should kick it, You should be able to notice it Pushing a great deal of air from it, An usually you can hear it ., An it should cycle off an back on again.With the Fan Clutch kicked in it should suck a sheet of paper to the front of the Rad.,, I have seen them get weak an only partially kick in an out. You should be able to see daylight through the Rad. fins , you might have to get a drop lite in there to see the lite, Maybe take the hose an clean out the fins .If its a older vechile , Even a new Rad. is going to heat up if the fan clutch isnt working . How old is the vechile an mileage , Have you condiserd having the Rad. flushed instead of replacing it ?