Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

U-Joint Removal Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Default U-Joint Removal Help Needed

Hi all. Thanks for anyhelp anyone can offer. I'm trying to change the rear u-joint on my E-350. I thought this was a breeze. I have NO clue as to how to get the u-joint out. I have it removed from the 2 u-shaped bolts. But how do I get the other 2 caps out? Do I need a special tool or is there some trick I'm missing?

Thanks again.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:36 AM
Default RE: U-Joint Removal Help Needed

Your first joint huh , There should be a clip in the eye of the yoke ,, Or on the underside of the eye , Sometimes you gotta clean it up real good to see it, remove the clip , Find a socket that will just fit inside the eye an hammer it down , As you do this the other cap will be pushed out , then roll the shaft over an geta piece of round stock, Or a drift pin that size an hammer it back the other way , Clean up the eyes get some never sieze lube them up an install the new ones just reverse the way you removed it. Make sure you support the shaft while you do this , you dont wanta bend or kink it , Also dont hammer the yokes eyes as you'll mess them up an get get the new u-joint to stay in . its a lil tricky but not that bad , also as you reinstall the new caps make sure you dont loose any of the lil needle brs , or get them in the top of the cap crossways as you will damage the cap or u-joint .An grease it really good after you install it in the vechile .

Old 09-05-2005, 04:41 AM
Default RE: U-Joint Removal Help Needed

Oh , I forgot , on the reassy you can use a vise as a press if you have one that opens wide enough to get the driveline cross in , Also you didnt state the year , try this website they might have a lil more info an oictures to boot ..

www.autozone .com
go to the repair section an type in your year , make model , an what your looking for ,,,,,,,,,,,,,goodkuck