Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 12:26 PM
Default Starting issue

I have 97 Econoline. After it has been driven and engine got hot i it wouldn't start again. I changed fuel pump relay. I even bypass the relay that makes pump running but still wouldn't start. Starter is cranking the engine though.I have to let it cool off for several hours sometimes overnight and start with no problem. Another issue is that windshield wipers are activated for about 4 seconds when I turn the engine on in the morning . The problem stops when van gets hot under the sun in the afternoon. I cleaned inside of wiper switch with electronic cleaner. Could it be wiper motor problems? Can anyone help me

Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 PM

I realize this sounds far out ,but sometimes when we get unexplained things taking place, there can be a ground connection problem. Do you want to get into this or are you planning to have someone else do it and just wand some possible causes?

Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 AM
Default Ground connection

I'm in the middle of road trip right now but I can stop by my friends house if it's easy to fix . Is it grounded on the battery or is fuel pump has to be removed and check the connection from pump? Can you be more specific what part of ground connection you are pointing to?

Old 04-23-2019, 02:54 PM

That is the reason I asked who might be checking the vehicle. There are several ground connections and the best way is to start right at the battery negative terminal and check every ground connection you can see/find..
Checking means removing the connection , cleaning it ,and reassembling it.
Just looking at them does nothing.There are ground wires that connect the sheet metal to the battery, and from sheet metal to other grounds inside the vehicle.
Is there some particular reason you are concerned with the fuel pump?
You should hear the fuel pump run for approx 2 seconds when you first turn the key on, if you hear that I says the fuel pump is at least priming the engine to start.If you don't hear that , then check the fuse connections. Don't forget to make sure the inertia switch is in the full down position. For addl info on inertia sw ck owner's manual. Sw is located at top of pass side kick panel and can be easily felt with fingers.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Default Starting issue

A guy who works for vehicle modification notices that " engine service soon " light doesn't eliminate when ignition is on position when engine is not starting. He said that it would be vehicle computer malfunctions. Yesterday and today it was starting fine. I kept my eyes on the dashboard and service warning light is eliminating.Does anyone know if it is computer malfunctions?

Old 04-28-2019, 11:44 AM
Default Starting issue

I started it this morning without any problems and drove for an hour. After I pumped the gas it won't start and I noticed that engine service soon light doesn't eliminate. I'm positive that after several hours it will start again. Is it ground connection issue or is it vehicle computer problems?

Old 04-28-2019, 12:43 PM

It could be either one of those.
The only way to know is to do some checking and one of the easiest is to make sure all the ground connections are clean and good.
There is no way to say which one without "shooting from the hip" and that can get expensive and not always solve the problem.

The PCM )Powertrain Control Module) does control the Check engine light, but it needs to be able to do it's job with good connections and proper info. You might remove and reinstall the plugs going to the PCM, there could be a poor connection there, look for any corrosion on the plugs.

I realize you are hoping for the "Silver Bullet" fix, but without doing the checks , there is no sure way of knowing.
If you suspect the PCM is acting up when it gets warm/hot , you could either remove the PCM and take it where it is warmer or carefully use something like a hair dryer to apply some heat to it and see if fails to start after you know it has cooled down. If it starts before you heat it some, and it refuses to start after you heat it, , then that could point to a PCM problem.