95 Lincoln Town Car No Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Default 95 Lincoln Town Car No Fuel

95 Town Car with no fuel pressure. The car just died on me in the middle of the road.

I've checked the fuses, the Inertia Switch, fuel pump relay. All test just fine. I've got voltage to the relay, fuses and inertia switch... I have noticed that the PCM is not allowing the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump to receive proper ground. Any suggestions why.?

Old 01-17-2015, 03:29 AM

I believe the PCM provides the ground to the fuel pump relay to close and send power to the fuel pump via the inertia switch.
If you have power at the pump , the ground is fixed and could be intermittent.
If the crank sensor is not sending a steady signal to the PCM it will drop out the fuel pump relay.
It would be a good idea to check all the ground connections from the battery to the rest of the vehicle including the ground at the rear for the fuel pump.
If the vehicle will start and quit after running a short time and not restart, shoot some cold water on to the crank sensor . If it starts now , replace the sensor.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:35 AM

It was the fuel pump. I understand,,, now, that the pcm will not allow the fuel pump relay to ground until the engine is running.

I determined the pump was bad by disconnecting the wiring connector at the gas tank. Using a meter, the pump still showed current between the positive and negative terminals. However the meter also showed a direct short between the pump terminal leads and ground. So the windings inside the pumped had burned through leaving the burned leads to touch the outer metal shell of the pump leading to being grounded.

Also,, you can add a jumper between 30 and 87 on the fuel pump relay and the pump will work without the ignition switch even being turned on.. Great rapid test to see if pump is working. Also,, Be mindful when working with those three relays and the diode. If one of those grabs a loose connection your engine light will stop working and the car will not start...

Thanks again for all your help.

Michael