Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Edge feels like it's falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Default Edge feels like it's falling apart

Does anybody have any idea what would make my 2007 Edge SEL AWD do the following:

Started making a grinding-type noise from 0-10 mph under light acceleration, seemed like possibly from right rear.

Continued to get worse, happening more frequently

Now, shakes and jerks violently and makes loud, clanking sounds as I drive around the block ( I don't want to take it further than that ).

As I began my little "test drive" to diagnose the problem, I backed out of the driveway (no problems there), put it in drive and pulled forward, steering toward the left. It began clanking (metal) and shaking (if I did not know the tires were good, I would have sworn the right rear was flat, that's how it felt). I can coast with no issues, but any time the gas is pressed, it's time for a loud, banging, clanging rodeo.

Also, a mild burning rubber-like smell has been experienced.

My wife drove it yesterday, she said at times it felt hard to control and seems like it was going fall apart on the road.

Any help in the matter is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:17 PM

The edge has independent rear suspension there is a differential and there are 2 half shafts going ot the rear wheels. These shafts have CV joint. My guess is that either the differential or the CV joints are to blame.
It is really a matter of inspecting the whole rear suspension and drive train.

I would not drive it.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:59 PM

I was kind of thinking that, it did sound like the driveshaft was banging around under there. I crawled under and tried to manually turn each of the cv shafts and the driveshaft with the car parked, off and e-brake on. None of the cv shafts budged, not even a little wiggle, BUT the driveshaft seemed to have a bit of play in it, maybe able to turn it 1/2 an inch or so. Would this be normal? It wasn't the u-joints, the entire thing was turning from the tranny to the diff.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM

To be quite honest this is now out of my league. I hope Hanky or someone else chimes in.