Flat Towing wobble - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Old 12-30-2017, 12:44 PM

Default Flat Towing wobble

I flat tow my 2017 Ford Edge behind my motorhome. Occasionally, when turning a corner, the Edge will begin violently shaking or wobbling. This is a very dangerous situation, when I am forced to pull the rig over on a very busy road or highway. I have been told that this is an electronic power steering problem because the front wheels are not returning to center after a turn. I have seen many accounts of this on line relating to Jeeps being flat towed. Jeep even provide the part number of a mopar Electronic Power Steering wire harness to solve the problem on Jeeps, but Ford tells me that they have never heard of the problem and they don't know where to beg into fix it. I have a Blue Ox towing plate on the car, a Blue Ox tow bar, and a Roadmaster Invisabrake supplemental braking system installed on the car. This problem should not be confused with the "Death Wobble" problem experienced on many heavy duty trucks. has anyone heard of this problem on Fords being flat towed?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:21 PM

what does the jeep wiring harness do; just power up the motor and steering wheel position sensor?
If thats all you need; tow with koeo and see if anything changes.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:42 PM

Default Flat towing wobble

I am guessing that the harness provided power to the steering, without powering up anything else.
Ford states that the battery should be disconnected while towing. The harness from the motorhome to the tow vehicle provides a trickle charge to the car battery. I don't know what you mean by koeo?
Old 12-31-2017, 01:13 AM

ford or any manufacturer wants to prevent battery discharge. you gotta key on to get into neutral unless your tcase has a neutral position...this will create a draw that may kill the battery regardless of the charge from the tow vehicle.

key on, engine off. do some testing...see if it solves the problem.

typically the caster setting promotes return to center of the front wheels. some electric power steering sytems use the motor to assist return to center and may run less caster.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:26 PM

Default Flat towing wobble

Thanks for the idea. I’ll try it. Ford manual for this car states: “start car, shift to neutral, turn ignition to off position, and disconnect the negative battery cable.” The car battery gets a trickle charge from the motorhome.