Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2003 Escape Charging System

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Default 2003 Escape Charging System

Hello everyone - this is my first post here, and I'm looking for some advice - and I do thank you in advance.

I recently purchased a 2003 Ford Escape, 3.0L V6, 4WD. It has 149K miles.

It had been sitting for about a year, so the previous owner purchased and installed a new battery before the purchase.

I was noticing the voltage dropping a bit when components such as the headlights and heat/AC were turned on. I took the vehicle in to have the battery and alternator tested, and all came out fine.

About a week ago, the vehicle would not start - so it was jumped, and then died again a short while (about 300 feet) later. So this past weekend I went ahead and replaced the alternator, and also replaced the serpentine belt. The battery was dead of course, so I put a full charge back on the battery as well.

When I went out to drive it Saturday after doing the work, the battery light started blinking again. It does not stay on solid, but it blinks intermittently. I noticed it mostly when accelerating. Today, I again went out and drove it, and had the battery light issue for about the first 5 minutes, and after that, did not see the battery light again for the rest of the 30 minute test drive.

I have checked the battery with the vehicle off with a multi-meter and had acceptable voltage (12.6 or so), and also checked it with the vehicle running and got a reading of about 14.4 - so it seems that the battery is receiving the charge from the alternator.

Today before I drove it, I checked the battery voltage with the vehicle off and got a reading of 12.27, and when I returned after the 30 minute drive, the reading was 12.07.

So, I am wondering if there is an issue somewhere that I'm just not seeing or thinking about. I'm going to continue to monitor the battery and see if the voltage levels keep dropping or if it's getting recharged at all.

However, I thought I'd post here and see if you all had any ideas. I apologize for the long post, but wanted to provide as much information as possible. Again, I sincerely appreciate your help!

Old 07-22-2019, 06:47 PM

I’m having this same problems. New alt. New battery. Still draining the battery. Same year and all. Did you find out what it was?

Old 04-01-2020, 06:36 PM
Default Capt. K9

Does it or did it have an aftermarket alarm?

does it pop any codes? Many parts stores will run a scan N/C

Old 04-03-2020, 07:26 AM

Sometimes you need to look at the whole picture. With the 2003 vehicle, that sat for a period of time, temperature, humidity, environment all have an effect on corrosion.
It might be a good idea to check all the battery and cable connections. Just looking at them does nothing. They need to be removed, cleaned and reinstalled. This goes for both ends of the cables. Also the other wiring that comes from the alternator to the battery and the rest of the vehicle. Just as are the ground connections , AND there are plenty of them,. So as you can see, there is no one special item, they all are part of the system. Think of it like a chain , the weakest link affects the entire chain.