Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2006 Ford Escape gas pedal sticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Question 2006 Ford Escape gas pedal sticking

Just curious if anyone has had issues with the gas pedal sticking when the weather turns cold. Mine has stuck but I've been fortunate to not have any accidents and it usually works once I tap it a couple of times. Today it stuck to where I couldn't go at all. My daughter and I had to roll it backward down a hill into my driveway to get off the street. I've read a little online today to try and learn what I can. I'm a single Mom/school teacher with three teenagers and I don't want to take it to a dealership for fear they will want to replace a bunch of parts that don't need replaced and I cannot afford. Any helpful feedback is appreciated.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Schoolteacher:

First go to "safercar.gov" and file a report.
There are reports on earlier Escape/Tributes.

Then find a mom and pop shop that will take care of your vehicle. Ask you friends and colleagues where they take their vehicles for service. Or use the yellow pages to find something like "Ron's Automotive".

With the cable already sticking this bad I would not drive this vehicle.
I am the handy guy and I would disconnect the cable at the throttle body and push the cable in and out to feel for resistance. In another car I put lubricant into the cable housing and made it go easier. But this may not be the solution in your case. I can't tell without seeing it myself.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Schoolteacher
Just curious if anyone has had issues with the gas pedal sticking when the weather turns cold. Mine has stuck but I've been fortunate to not have any accidents and it usually works once I tap it a couple of times. Today it stuck to where I couldn't go at all. My daughter and I had to roll it backward down a hill into my driveway to get off the street. I've read a little online today to try and learn what I can. I'm a single Mom/school teacher with three teenagers and I don't want to take it to a dealership for fear they will want to replace a bunch of parts that don't need replaced and I cannot afford. Any helpful feedback is appreciated.
Yep, it's usually easy to fix yourself. Loosen two clamps and remove/displace the section of intake between the airfilter box and engine, clean the butterfly valve with carb/fuel inj. cleaner. I've had to do this 3 time on my '08 with 110,000 miles on it.