Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2012 Escape Limited ECM/Electrical issue help

Old 06-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Default 2012 Escape Limited ECM/Electrical issue help

2012 Escape Limited.

A few weeks ago the dash randomly lit up with TPS fault, Door open and parking brake warning lights while driving. Now it happens every day at least once. As well the turn signals and AC stop working (blows hot air), but once the lights go out everything works normally again. Funny thing about the turn signals is it doesn't show working or flashing inside on the dash, but they actually flash outside the car, so they still work. The vehicle doesn't stall or show any issues on driveability.
Any ideas?

Update: July 23...When these lights come on if I hit the top of the dash the lights all go out and everything goes back to normal? Very weird. I can do this every time with the same result. Anyone have any ideas? Could this be as simple as a loose connection or an issue with the cluster?

Last edited by v8vega383; 07-23-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: update:
Old 06-14-2019, 03:26 PM

Can you stop at some place like Autozone and have the vehicle checked for any codes in the memory ? If there are any it may help provide some direction as to where to start.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:43 AM

2012 Escape Limited.

A few weeks ago the dash randomly lit up with TPS fault, Door open and parking brake warning lights while driving. Now it happens every day at least once. As well the turn signals and AC stop working (blows hot air), but once the lights go out everything works normally again. Funny thing about the turn signals is it doesn't show working or flashing inside on the dash, but they actually flash outside the car, so they still work. The vehicle doesn't stall or show any issues on driveability.
Any ideas?

Update: July 23...When these lights come on if I hit the top of the dash the lights all go out and everything goes back to normal? Very weird. I can do this every time with the same result. Anyone have any ideas? Could this be as simple as a loose connection or an issue with the cluster?

Old 07-23-2019, 02:11 PM

The cluster is one of the modules in the network on the vehicle. Sometimes it can affect other module functions and sometimes not.
I believe you are on the right path suspecting the (IC) instrument cluster.
There are not very many shops that are equipped to handle a problem like this and you kinda wind up with 2 choices the first is to remove the cluster and send it out to a place that repairs them or just replace the cluster. Unfortunately there is to my knowledge no kind of warranty coverage.

I really didn't want to say this, but I guess you could always get a soft rubber mallet and tap the dash until it no longer works or you break the dash or mallet.
Maybe if you or you had someone remoive the cluster you might be able to spot the loose connection which with printed circuits is not an easy task. .

Old 07-23-2019, 02:16 PM

Thanks, I’m going to pull the cluster out and check that and the wire connector. I found a used one for $100, but you never know if that one may be bad too.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:32 PM

If you are savvy enough to get the cluster out, maybe if you can get it where you would normally need to strike it, and very carefully use a piece of stick or popcicle stick and carefully touch various solder joints working your way across the board and you just might touch the right spot to make it work. Finding that spot is 90% of the work , carefully resoldering the connection could maybe save you some $$$. Before you solder anything make sure you provide a heat sink for other parts close by so you don't create addl problems.