Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2013 Escape windshield wiper passenger motor doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:26 PM
Default 2013 Escape windshield wiper passenger motor doesn't work

Hey there. Allow me please some misspelling or incorrect grammar as English is my second language and i am still studying it.
Recently bought a 2013 ford escape. Absolutely love it but the front wipers recently acted weird until the point that the passenger wiper stop working completely. Fuses are OK. Checked the wiper motor and it does not respond. (the little gear where the blade is attached does not move) Bought a used motor and replaced it. Still does not work. I thought it was a bad motor at first, so i contacted the shop and they shipped another one. Still does not work. I checked the line with a tester and i am receiving power. I know that the motors are linked together, but the driver side motor is working as designed. Should I need to replace the driver side motor as well? Any idea on what could cause the issue?

Last edited by Damiano; 10-21-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:04 AM

Usually, there is one electric motor assy that has what is called a transmission linkage that fastens to the motor drive and delivers movement to both driver's side and passenger side. As I understand it, the driver's side works as it should , but the passenger side does not. There is a retaining nut that holds the wiper arm and blade to the transmission post which is splined/serated and once the arm is positioned on the driver and the nut is tightened the arm is supposed to work. Sometimes the inside of the arm gets reamed out and the little driver on the assy will no longer be able to move the wiper arm. If you can, try to remove the wiper arm and look under the end to see if that is what happened. If so, a new wiper arm is all that is required to fix that. With the wiper motor turned off and the linkage in the home position the replacement arm is placed on the splined driver approximately the same distance as the wiper on the driver's side and the nut tightened just enough to hold the arm in place. Also the link from the motor that goes to the passenger side may have come off. If this does not help , let us know.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:25 AM

thanks hanky for the prompt response.
The Ford escape does not have a transmission linkage. Each wiper blade is attached to its own wiper motor and they work independently.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:33 AM

brought the used wiper motors that i bought online with a friend who was capable to test them. They don't work, at least the electronic component since the mechanical does work. I bought a new wiper motor yesterday hoping that it was the problem. If it still doesn't work i will do as you suggested.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

With the 2 motor system, the Body Control Module sees an input from the switch for a speed/function, the BCM sends the request to the drivers side motor,, the drivers side motor then coordinates with the passenger side motor on a dedicated communication line to operate in unison.,

Old 10-28-2017, 08:05 PM

So, i installed the new motor today. Everything works great. I guess the two previous used motors I bought came out bad. I will contact the company and ask for refund.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Glad it's fixed, and thanks for the update..