Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Aux Line Input Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Default Aux Line Input Problem

I have a 2008 Escape Limited with a Line Input Jack for MP3 and I-pods and I tried using it for the first time and it was all static and very low volume. Has anyone ever had this happen? If so do you know what was the cause?

Thanks,

Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Default RE: Aux Line Input Problem

Hi,
please provide a few details.
a) what type of audio device have you been using?
b) did you check the cable between the device and the input?
c) do you happen to know the required impedance of the original headphones you're supposed to use with the audio device?
d) did you try the input with other audio devices to the same result?

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 PM

Here is the full story,
I recently purchased my Escape and the dealer included the Satellite install, so I took it in for installation and the car came back to me with scratches all over the console. The deal ended up fixing everything and then I went to try my Ipod it did not work so I went to the dealer with the Ipod and tried it on another car and it worked. I suspect the outside vendor who install the Satellite did something wrong and I don't want to take it back because I'm tired of there BS at the dealership. I did chek the line and it appears to be plugged in. I really need to take apart the console and look deeper.

I'm wondering if there is a connection between the antenna and the line input? I think they connected the satellite to the antenna and not the line input maybe there is a y connection they need or something like that.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

It is hard to say, but if this is a new car, I know how you would feel, but I would take it back, and demand it get fixed. If they are reluctant, maybe try another dealer or call Ford directly to get this resolved.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: tpaFord

and the dealer included the Satellite install, so I took it in for installation ...
err... I take it the original model had no satellite when you purchased it in the first place. I'm only asking 'cause mine had it pre-installed (6-cd + sirius sat audio system, no audiophile). which leads to the conclusion that they've been working on it and apparently did a really lousy job. a REALLY lousy one. maybe addressing this directly to Ford would be a good idea, since they don't usually like being represented by unskilled bricklayers who call themselves 'authorized service points'. that, if you want satisfaction. if you want results... I'd take the car back and jam their door with it until they cough up an unscratched AND working audio system.

now for the tech part, (it's only common sense assumptions, don't DIY based on them please!) the aux jack on the console must have some connector that allows for the front panel to be removed. if this is the case, it might be really easy. if you have SOME volume FROM the iPod itself, then it's like you have a 'cold' wire somewhere or the ground wire connected wrong or loose. if you have NO volume from the iPod, it's definitely worth looking along the line from the dashboard to the audio system entry. if that is working properly, the next logical step would be to check the selector (radio, sat, cd, aux) and see if it's wired according to the plan.

finally, I only hope that you have a genuine Apple iPod and not a clone. usually Asian clones of famous devices use different impedance outputs, thus not being able to work with common 'line in' appliances. now 'line in' is a forced term, since the real 'line in' (or AUX) input you would see on a high-end, say, amplifier, uses completely different parameters for the audio signal - most notably a fixed volume signal, among other differences. this simulated 'AUX' we're having is actually an input able to use a signal designed initially for headphones (common 8-ohm impedance and variable signal). just as an example, I have an Archos pocket video recorder and I cannot use it in the car, whereas the iPod would work just fine.

(note: if anyone knows better how to explain these please feel free to do it - I'm a self-taught geek and I don't take credit for 'knowing them all'. maybe I've done some slight mistakes in terminology. but basically this is how it works.)

anyway, keep us posted... it's an interesting problem (wish you didn't have it in the first place) and it's worth knowing how it eventually turned out for you. and wow, what a huge post!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:43 AM

Thanks for all your input and I will take your advice and take it back to the dealer. The Ipod is a real one and it works on another Escape at the dealer.

Thanks I'll update when it is fixed....