Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Better headlight bulbs ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 11:07 AM
Default Better headlight bulbs ?

I did a search of this forum for headlight bulbs, but did not find much info. I apologize if this question has been asked and answered in the last year.

I have a 14 Ford Escape SE. I live in a very rural part of southwest Virginia - there are way more cows in my county than people. lol
Now that it's getting dark way earlier, I have recognized a need for better illumination on the very dark back roads around here.

Sylvania has 4 headlight bulbs that will work in my Escape: Basic - Xtra Vision - SilverStar - SilverStar Ultra. I am running Xtra Vision now.
Is moving up to SilverStar or SilverStar Ultra a good idea ? Or, is there a better bulb out there that I am not aware of ?

Old 11-03-2020, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site.

I tried all the options for my old SD 250 as far as simple lamp replacement , but nothing threw out enough light to the roadsides, or certainty far enough down the road to be much better than stock.. We have a ‘large’ amount of wildlife, more so at night on roads that have no lighting. Spent a few miles white knuckling in the past.
I ended up installing two 100 watt aircraft landing lights in adjustable mounts down near the front bumper tow hook areas. Installed a trigger switch up by the turn signal lever, multi function..Not exactly legal, but not much different than light bars etc.

Being an Incandescent, the light spread out and lit the roadsides ‘very well’,, the distance was amazing and bright. Being 100w, not blinding but certainly needed to be canceled for oncoming traffic. But in the areas I needed it the most, not much traffic concerns...
Silvers seemed to add shadowing, and the multi colored/amber that claimed to widen and extend the lamps reach, I didn’t see a real improvement for what I needed for lighting up country roads.

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-03-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site.

I tried all the options for my old SD 250 as far as simple lamp replacement , but nothing threw out enough light to the roadsides, or certainty far enough down the road to be much better than stock.. We have a ‘large’ amount of wildlife, more so at night on roads that have no lighting. Spent a few miles white knuckling in the past.
I ended up installing two 100 watt aircraft landing lights in adjustable mounts down near the front bumper tow hook areas. Installed a trigger switch up by the turn signal lever, multi function..Not exactly legal, but not much different than light bars etc.

Being an Incandescent, the light spread out and lit the roadsides ‘very well’,, the distance was amazing and bright. Being 100w, not blinding but certainly needed to be canceled for oncoming traffic. But in the areas I needed it the most, not much traffic concerns...
Silvers seemed to add shadowing, and the multi colored/amber that claimed to widen and extend the lamps reach, I didn’t see a real improvement for what I needed for lighting up country roads.
Thank you sir.
Yeah, I use the Blue Ridge Parkway as a shortcut home sometimes, and last night I saw a buck that looked to be the same size as a small moose !
But not until I was 25 yards or so away.
So there basically is no plug and play bulb that would help me huh ?
I am not sure what the laws are around here, and I sure as heck would not be able to install a custom setup ... lol
Has anyone every tried putting a better / brighter bulb in the fog lamps ?

Old 12-01-2020, 04:55 PM
Default Replacement headlight bulbs

Originally Posted by BuccaneerRed
I did a search of this forum for headlight bulbs, but did not find much info. I apologize if this question has been asked and answered in the last year.

I have a 14 Ford Escape SE. I live in a very rural part of southwest Virginia - there are way more cows in my county than people. lol
Now that it's getting dark way earlier, I have recognized a need for better illumination on the very dark back roads around here.

Sylvania has 4 headlight bulbs that will work in my Escape: Basic - Xtra Vision - SilverStar - SilverStar Ultra. I am running Xtra Vision now.
Is moving up to SilverStar or SilverStar Ultra a good idea ? Or, is there a better bulb out there that I am not aware of ?
Hey my friend:
I replaced my 2017 OEM hi beams with a set of Cougar All-in-one bulbs(H-11) these bulbs are plug and play. I found them on Amazon 2 weeks ago, and man, WHAT a difference; bright, wonderful side coverage, and no static to disturb radio useable