Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Correcting date on display in 2008 Ford Escape

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 07:26 PM

Same thing happened to me, Has anybody found an aftermarket nav replacement that’s compatible with the hybrid display?

Old 08-27-2023, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by My Escape
Glad to find this discussion and know I am not alone. I called Ford Corporation (800-392-3673) and explained the problem to them. I was told that they could not do anything about it and recommended that I take it to a dealership to have a technician look at it.

Apparently Ford no longer has the development team for this system, since they created the SYNC system a few years later. Did Ford put a shelf-life or something for this system that caused it to revert back to Jan 4, 2004 for all the 2008 FEH systems on the same day? Did they not expect this vehicle to last as long as it has?

Not sure to what extent the dealership can help or what it would cost to fix the problem. We didn't do anything to the vehicle to cause this issue, because it is [apparently] a widespread problem with this specific make/model.

Guess it's back to square one, unless someone was able to find a better solution.
I was told by the same thing. I specifically asked if anyone else had called and that it seemed to be a broader issue, should I be worried about my system, and can they connect me to anyone who could help…

they said they didn’t think anyone else had called (clearly not true) and said they could connect me to a team but it shot me back to the main menu instead. Most dealerships in my area closed in recent years. I’m also wondering if they didn’t expect the cars to last this long and why they had no contingency plan. I’m hoping they will issue a recall or some kind of replacement?

Old 09-02-2023, 01:29 PM
Default Good grief! Wrong dates forever??

My 08 Escape Hybrid has been in the shop for a few days (independent one, replacing my hybrid battery cooling fans) and I just got it back and climbed in today for a long day trip. Date reads Jan. 17, 2004. I thought maybe it had somehow reset because the mechanic disconnected the battery (or batteries) ir something. But lo and behold, I am not alone.

How can Ford just shrug and say they won’t address this??

Do we have any idea how many cars of this generation with this issue are still on the road? Because …if there are enough of us it seems like we could raise a loud enough stink that Ford would have to do SOMETHING. Cripes.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:46 PM

Can you get in touch with the service department of your local dealership and ask if they can get the correct date back in there and what would it cost?

Would appreciate it if you got back to us with that answer, thanks.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:54 PM

This is going to continue to bother me. Since the next business day is not for another few days, I looked up some data regarding how many cars may be affected in the meantime.

Ford introduced SYNC as standard in the 2009 model year per the wiki page. So no cars past 2008 would be affected by this GPS rollover bug.

As near as I can tell the “unique integrated GPS navigational system with hybrid information system” was offered as an option for 2005-2007 produced Escapes and Mercury hybrids. So those three production years.

According to the Dept of Energy Alternative Fuel Data Center, this is how many Escapes/Mercury hybrid cars were sold from 2005-2008:

2005: 15,960
2006: 22,549
2007: 25,108

So total = 63,617 cars COULD have the date problem. However - not all of the hybrids made had the audiophile/nav display option. And surely some of those cars are no longer on the road by now. So a conservative estimate is something like less than 50,000 cars are affected.

I am planning on driving my car until it dies, however long that may be. So this date thing is going to drive me nuts!

I will be calling Ford first thing Tuesday morning. And I will keep calling until I get the right answer! I encourage everyone else affected to keep calling Ford as well.

Old 09-03-2023, 06:40 PM
Default Not just hybrids

Originally Posted by FunChefChick
This is going to continue to bother me. Since the next business day is not for another few days, I looked up some data regarding how many cars may be affected in the meantime.

Ford introduced SYNC as standard in the 2009 model year per the wiki page. So no cars past 2008 would be affected by this GPS rollover bug.

As near as I can tell the “unique integrated GPS navigational system with hybrid information system” was offered as an option for 2005-2007 produced Escapes and Mercury hybrids. So those three production years.

According to the Dept of Energy Alternative Fuel Data Center, this is how many Escapes/Mercury hybrid cars were sold from 2005-2008:

So total = 63,617 cars COULD have the date problem. However - not all of the hybrids made had the audiophile/nav display option. And surely some of those cars are no longer on the road by now. So a conservative estimate is something like less than 50,000 cars are affected.

I am planning on driving my car until it dies, however long that may be. So this date thing is going to drive me nuts!

I will be calling Ford first thing Tuesday morning. And I will keep calling until I get the right answer! I encourage everyone else affected to keep calling Ford as well.
my 08 v6 with navigation has the same issue

Old 09-04-2023, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by thelew21
I got in my 2008 Escape Hybrid today and noticed that the date on the display said "Jan 2, 2004". Thought that was odd, but figured I could update it in the same way I'd update the time. It lets me scroll through the calendar, but I don't see anywhere to correct the date it displays. And I don't see anything about setting the date in the manual. Am I missing something?

How is the date set in the display? And should I be concerned that my Escape traveled back in time?

Thanks!
Its not just hybrids... My 2008 Escape is affected as well.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Robwtompkins
my 08 v6 with navigation has the same issue
It's not just hybrids... My 2008 Escape Limited is affected as well.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by FunChefChick

Nice investigation.... But its not just hybrids... My 2008 Escape Lmited is affected as well.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:45 AM

Excellent point. I'm not able to find - at least not quickly - exactly which models Ford offered the GPS Nav system as an option between 2005-2008 prior to SYNC being introduced in 2009.

https://ford.navigation.com/home/en_US/FordNA/USD

That site formerly let people order replacement Nav DVDs for model years prior to 2009; everything is discontinued now, of course. Looks like one could have had the GPS nav option for 2008 in:

Edge
Escape (ICE and hybrid)
Expedition, Expedition L
Explorer, Explorer Sport Trac
F-150
Fusion
Mustang
Super-Duty (F-250 / F-350 / F-450)
Taurus, Taurus X
Mercury Mariner (ICE and Hybrid)
Mercury Milan
Mercury Mountaineer
Mercury Sable

I have no idea how to determine how many vehicles were produced WITH the GPS nav option with date/clock display AND which are still on the road. But that is definitely going to be quite a bit more than the 50,000 cars I was ballparking. !

I suggest everyone call Ford Customer Care tomorrow (800-392-3673) and let them know you are displeased about this obvious and predictable coding error which they should have known about (since it was widely known by at least 1999, long before these cars were produced). And ask them what they intend to do about this embarrassing and glaring error which all of us will be staring at for as long as these cars are still on the road. (!)

Quick Reply: Correcting date on display in 2008 Ford Escape