Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

electrical/electronic issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Default electrical/electronic issue

2011 Escape, 4 cyl, 85k miles. A list of things that happen, all happen sometimes, sometimes every thing works fine.
info strip at the top of the dash comes and goes
can,t control the radio from the dash, can from the steering wheel
turn signal lights are intermittent inside, work fine outside
warnings on the dash display sometimes, low air pressure, door open, brake, abs,
something new is a parasitic drain that will kill the battery in 2 days
today we believe that the drain is in the chassis control module. pulled all the connectors of the module and still get the drain with an amp meter. the part # on the module is bl8t 15604aa, I have not been able to find that part on any of the ford parts sites that I have tried. the only place I could find a replacement was ebay. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Old 11-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Bill

electrical drain/non function can be hard to trace. Given you pulled all the connectors from CCM and still have a drain...that does not appear to be the cause.

My "guess" is one of the buttons on steering wheel (radio, cruise control, etc) may be "stuck on" or the signal wire to it may be grounded keeping a completed circuit

One test is to pull one fuse at a time and then use amp probe (meter) to see if parasitic draw goes away to see if you can at least narrow down the fuse circuit that is causing the drain. While some fuse circuits are single use specific, others run several things, especially interior light functions

The fading info strip may be a specific problem of a circuit board solder fail on it...but if it is tied to the same +12v as other items you are having issues with when you do the "pull each fuse one at a time" thing...it ideally will be resolved when you locate that problem.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:06 PM

Just spent a bit more time chasing my demon, no luck. I did pull all the fuses, one at a time last week, but I did it wrong. Didn't think of the lights that come when the meter is hooked up so we always had a draw. I have a hard time with anything that has a wire attached to it. Mechanical stuff is not a problem. Will try again over the weekend, fortunately I have a very sharp neighbor. Thanks Much for your help.