Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Escape with vibration when idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Angry Escape with vibration when idle

I have an 2012 Ford Escape 2.5 L 4 cylinder with about 138k miles on it. I am noticing more and more that when I am driving my car I get a vibration in the vehicle that only appears when the car is in drive and idle at a light or stop sign. The vibration isn't present when I'm in neutral, park, reverse or when I first start driving it. I have also noticed when this is happening my RPMs are dipping down to just above 500, I am not sure if its the engine just not compensating for my lack of speed or if something else is going on. The research I have done suggests that a lot of other people have had this issue but I can never find a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:04 PM

Did the check engine light come on at any time?
Can you have one of the auto supply stores like Autozone and others who do the code scan for free, check your vehicle for any history codes in the computer?
Sometimes the codes(s) help provide some direction.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:47 PM

Nope no check engine light, each time my check engine light comes on for various reasons i have them check for other codes but nothing comes up that would be related to this.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:27 AM

Your reply leave us with an incomplete answer. Whether the codes may seem related or not may point to an area with a problem.
If the codes disappear after turning off the ignition you may need to have the vehicle checked before turning off the ignition.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by lousyclient
Nope no check engine light, each time my check engine light comes on for various reasons i have them check for other codes but nothing comes up that would be related to this.
...so what would these "unrelated" codes be??

your 500 rpm idle is "low"....so the reason "why" needs to be confirmed...which one of those codes may point to. A low idle the motor can vibrate while in gear, stopped. "Possible IAC or TPS is failing but again if there was a code indicating one or other than would be it.

while this may not be your issue, but common to vibration at normal, or especially low, idle while in gear, bad motor mounts. In order the PS top, DS rear, DS front. These are fairly inexpensive and easy to change if you have a floor jack rockauto.com would be the cheapest place to buy them

also you can buy a $20 OBD2 code reader and use it yourself. Other hand held scanners from $100-$200 not only show codes but offer "fix" steps to what is most likely the cause of code