Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Recharging a/c

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 06:38 PM
Default Recharging a/c

My Ford Escape takes 25 ounces of refrigerant. I have two 12 ounce bottles and would like to not have to buy a third. How big of a deal is it that I only fill the system up with only 24?

Old 06-23-2022, 06:52 PM

There is more than one consideration here,

The first is why do you need to replace the entire charge, and was any refrigerant oil lost?

Can we get the complete story so we can supply a worthwhile answer?

Old 06-23-2022, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
There is more than one consideration here,

The first is why do you need to replace the entire charge, and was any refrigerant oil lost?

Can we get the complete story so we can supply a worthwhile answer?
vehicle was in an accident and damaged the condenser/ oil cooler. All of the refrigerant leaked out of both the high and low pressure fittings going into the condenser From the impact. Replaced the oil cooler and radiator now I’m just looking to refill the a/c system. I have manifold gauges and a compressor to do all the work.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:00 AM

To do it right, you need to fix the leak and purge the system prior to refilling otherwise you are just wasting your time. To answer your question, 24 ounces will be fine. If you have already changed any components, you will need to add the correct amount of oil.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:52 AM

Depending on the year of your vehicle, different types of refrigerant oil were used as were the refrigerants.

If the condenser was replaced ,that alone would require 2 0z. of the special refrigerant oil that would need to be added.
If the correct procedures are not followed you could be inviting problems like compressor failure which could contaminate the system , and flushing would be required.
Air conditioning repair is best left to the people with the knowledge and equip to do it properly.
If it were a simple matter of adding some of "The correct refrigerant", care is required so as not to allow any air or moisture to enter the system.
The receiver/dryer (accumulator ) MUST be replaced as part of the repair procedure which if not done can result on contamination and foreign "stuff" circulating throughout the system resulting in insufficient or total lack of cooling and that will require an addl amt of refrigerant oil.
When you say a compressor do you mean a vacuum pump?
If you have the equip mentioned ,you must have done some A/C work, yes -no ?

Old 06-24-2022, 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=hanky;131499]Depending on the year of your vehicle, different types of refrigerant oil were used as were the refrigerants.

If the condenser was replaced ,that alone would require 2 0z. of the special refrigerant oil that would need to be added.
If the correct procedures are not followed you could be inviting problems like compressor failure which could contaminate the system , and flushing would be required.
Air conditioning repair is best left to the people with the knowledge and equip to do it properly.
If it were a simple matter of adding some of "The correct refrigerant", care is required so as not to allow any air or moisture to enter the system.
The receiver/dryer (accumulator ) MUST be replaced as part of the repair procedure which if not done can result on contamination and foreign "stuff" circulating throughout the system resulting in insufficient or total lack of cooling and that will require an addl amt of refrigerant oil.
When you say a compressor do you mean a vacuum pump?
If you have the equip mentioned ,you must have done some A/C work, yes -no ?[/QUOTE
Yes I mean vacuum pump and I have done this work in the past. I have the oil that I need to add. Thank you for your response!