Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

stolen keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 06:24 PM
Default stolen keys

hey guys our home got broken into and the thieves stole the keys to our 2017 escape. well this we wake up this morning and yup he came back and stole the truck!! we just got it back thanks to the app but the crook knows where we live and will just steal the truck again... how due I uncode his key?? I will buy a new key and code it but that wont help much if he follows us to the mall and grabs it while we are shopping... Please advise.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

The programmer will erase ‘all known keys’ from the system rendering the others useless..
Purchasing new keys,, it’s not a bad idea to buy 3. That way if one key is ever lost, you/owner can program the new replacement from the vehicle itself and escape costs from the dealer or smith.. With two programmed keys,, you can program extras if/when needed. If you have only two programmed, and one is lost, you have to have a vendor program a second key...

Last edited by Hayapower; 03-02-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:54 PM

right now i have one working 3 button key.... I bought a blank one off ebay and it will be here this week, i will go to a locksmith and have him cut the key, after that can i code it myself? stealership will charge me through the ear so i want to avoid them at all costs.. Also i know the cpu will only accept 4 keys at one time,, can i code in my keys 2xs and that should bump the missing key out of the cpu memory??

Old 03-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

You need 2 programmed keys to be able to program off the vehicle.. It’s a safety and security feature....
In the case of stolen keys, (likely only one in most cases) for a pissed boy/girl friend, a valet with a plan etc ,, the keys history will need to be wiped clean of ‘all known’.. Its not a case of keep filling the key program bank and the new keys are now general populous....
A smith, or the dealer are the options if/when security is compromised and if only one key, or none exist for theft and such... Generally requiring Proof of Ownership/ Owner on Record....

If you have a Windows based laptop, you can download a free subscription of Forscan. Then, buy a modified-switchable (HS/MS CAN) ELM327 diagnostic adapter off of eBay etc for less than 30 bucks ) and you can program PATS keys, as well as erase the knowns prior to programming the new keys when conditions like yours exist...
If you go the Forscan route, once a download subscriber, you’ll need to then apply (easily done on their site) for an ‘Extended Licences Agreement’.. It’s a time sensitive use restriction for and to gain access to PATS features etc, and foremost for safety and security. You’d then be able to do your own programming..
With Forscan and the ELM327 to connect to the vehicle diagnostic connector, you also have a very capable diagnostic/scan tool...

Last edited by Hayapower; 03-04-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:34 AM

When i called bayonne locksmith experts and told them about the keys i had ordered, they quoted $200 for 2 keys cut. Isn't it a good deal?

Old 03-25-2021, 08:42 AM

If you managed to get a regular key and cut it to operate the ign sw, it will allow the sw to turn on, but if the key has no provision to be coded you will get nothing when you turn the key on and to start. Some systems disable the starter and fuel. Coded keys are special and require coding to work. Just cutting a key alone will not do anything unless it is programmed to your particular vehicle as Hayapower stated earlier.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:14 AM

Coded keys need coding to work which auto locksmith won't be able to do that's the reason it's essential to visit the dealership for the work.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:34 PM

You do have a choice here, a "Certified" locksmith will have access to vehicle security info and can cut and code keys for you as can a dealership.
The locksmith generally costs less to come to your location to do this. Best to check and verify which you prefer.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:04 PM

A locksmith can cut and code keys only if they have VIN number else it's not possible for them to make a key.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:01 PM

The Locksmith must have security clearance and be "Certified" in order to gain access to as built security info. Dealerships have that access and only certified locksmiths..They can make and code a key based on your VIN., but still MUST have that security clearance.

Quick Reply: stolen keys