Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Sunroof glass Defect

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:53 AM

It took Ford how many years before they admitted that there was a problem with the 04-05 Freestar torque converters? Everybody that has experienced the blown Sun/Moon roof needs to retain any and all reciepts.

My personal belief is that IT IS a safety hazard all around.

I'm not an expert or an engineer, but I'll bet $10 that all if not most of these blown units had the cover pulled closed and blew on sunny days. Not being a mechanical or automive engineer, I would suspect that excessive heat build up caused the windows to expand in their frame to the point that the only place that the glass could expand to was outward (due to the contor of the roofs).

But hey...That's just my guess.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
It took Ford how many years before they admitted that there was a problem with the 04-05 Freestar torque converters? Everybody that has experienced the blown Sun/Moon roof needs to retain any and all reciepts.

My personal belief is that IT IS a safety hazard all around.

I'm not an expert or an engineer, but I'll bet $10 that all if not most of these blown units had the cover pulled closed and blew on sunny days. Not being a mechanical or automive engineer, I would suspect that excessive heat build up caused the windows to expand in their frame to the point that the only place that the glass could expand to was outward (due to the contor of the roofs).

But hey...That's just my guess.
Yes, it was a sunny summer day and the cover was closed.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:00 AM

These sunroofs should use laminated glass so the blass doesn't just go all over the place. I had 3 sets of prints made. One for Alan Mulally, one for the Consumer Products Safety Agency and one for my congressman.

Just got it fixed. My cost about $520. There is still a little bit of glass I can hear in the headliner on hard breaking. The glass place said they tried their best to get it all out.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:31 AM

My 2005 Ford Escape sunroof glass also popped riding down the expressway. No other cars around, no rocks, nothing. It was a very loud blast. Little pieces of glass shattered and scattered down the road as I continued to work. No one I know has ever had this happen to their sunroofs. It's a defect in the glass or installation. Ford, of course, will never admit it. Being it is too old for warranty, I'm just on my own for replacement.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM

On February 25, 2012, this happened to my daughter while riding down the road in her 2008 Ford Escape. No other cars around her and no trees over the road. It was not a sunny day. An overcast day of about 60 degrees. Luckily the shade was pulled so the glass did not get on her, but the glass looked like a volcano. There was a hole in it, but the glass was pushed upward. If a rock would have hit it, wouldn't the glass have been concaved in? Does anyone know what it takes to get some sort of recall going on an item? Does someone have to get physically inujured before Ford does something about a defective product of theirs?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Default Exploding moon roof 2012 F-150 platinum eco boost

Last week while driving down the road, my moon roof exploded. My grandson was in the car with me. I had never heard of such a thing. I took my truck to the dealer who said they had never heard of such a thing and would put the glass on digital imaging. I filed a complaint with Ford customer care since my new truck is under warranty and then proceeded to file a complaint with NHTSA as well. On the NHTSA site, there are several complaints of the same experience I had. Ford finally has agreed to pay 1/2 of the cost of the roof, but no thank you. I am working to get a recall. I have also contacted Carlite Glass who is the manufacturer of all the glass for Ford. They of course told me they have not received any complaints or ever heard of an issue with exploding moon roofs. I let them know, they have just been made aware of the issue. I offered to send the links or forums that I had Googled with all the complaints, the contact person declined my offer. My service advisor at Ford acknowledged there was no evidence of an impact, which I had already told them and yet they want the customer to file an insurance claim. I explained to them, that is considered FRAUD since there was no impact! Please if you have had an issue, call and complain to the NHTSA and get the investigation going. I have already contacted my local news station as well. It is a safety issue not a monetary issue!!!