Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Where is the horn relay - 2001 Ford Escape

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 07:29 AM
Default Where is the horn relay - 2001 Ford Escape

I have searched high and low, manuals, internet, car itself….I cannot find the exact location of the horn relay.
looking at a full service manual, I see a rather fuzzy picture.
Anyone actually know where the darn thing is??

Old 07-09-2022, 01:26 PM

Looking at both diagrams , in cab and in engine compartment, no relay shown for horn.

They do , however, show a 15 amp fuse in both, in cab and power distribution panel in engine compartment for the horn.

Can we ask what caused you to start looking for a relay ? If no horn(s) did you check both of those fuses?
Does your vehicle have one horn or two?
If the horn load is small and doesn't require a relay , could be why we can't find one.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:52 PM

Thank you. I added an imaging from the FSM I found online. Perhaps it is not correct.

I checked both fuses. Actually, the fuse in the engine bay looks to be a place holder…but no contracts are added to the side slot. Almost like Ford used that same distribution center on another car.

I saw something of a diagram where the relay may be in another area (by the radiator) in the engine bay.

As far as why, the horn stays stuck on. The contacts are working correctly in the steering wheel. If I plug the horn fuse in (cabin), then press the horn on the wheel…the horn will sound and continue to sound until I remove the fuse. In my past experience, this behavior is indicative of a stuck relay. I just want to find it so I can at least test it.
Hope that makes sense.

2001 Horn Relay

Old 07-09-2022, 02:53 PM

Also, I’ll have to look to see how many horns.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:39 AM

Yes, there are two areas for horn fuses. The one in the power distribution center in the engine compartment is just a placeholder for a fuse. It appears that Ford used the same mold for the power distribution center in other cars. Ford left this one without metal contacts within the fuse holder. There is only one fuse for the horn and that is in the driver side interior fuse bank. That fuse is good when plugged in.
As to the issue, when I placed a fuse in the fuse holder then press the horn button the horn continues to blow until I remove the fuse in the fuse holder. The contacts area in the steering wheel are correct and work properly. This leads me to believe that the relay is getting stuck. I just seem to be having troubles finding the horn relay.
The full service manual looks to show an area for the fuse. However I am unable to ascertain just where that is. I uploaded an image of what the FSM shows. Any thoughts out there?

Old 07-10-2022, 09:21 AM

As part of a diagnostic plan,
We should verify , that the contacts on the steering wheel are opening completely and move on from there. How was it determined the contacts were functioning correctly?
If there is an unknown relay involved , a wiring diagram or physical tracing of the particular color wire coming from the horn button to the horns needs to be done.
Sometimes diagrams don't always match with the vehicle.
Usually the wire from the horn button provides a ground to activate the horn relay.
We could always start from the horns and work back to determine how the power is getting to the horns. This is best done by actually physically tracing the wiring.

Until we have some idea of what is actually happening , anything is possible.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:18 PM

Thank you. I really appreciate the help. As I mentioned earlier, the contacts at the steering column are working correctly. Now onto the horn relay. However the schematic doesn’t tell where the horn relay is. Does anybody know where the horn relay is?? That’s really all I want to know, where is the horn relay.
Maybe I just wanna replace the horn relay because, well, I just wanna replace the horn relay. Maybe nothing‘s wrong. I just wanna replace the horn relay. Where is the horn relay to replace.
I apologize if I come across cranky. I’m not. I just wanna know where the horn relay is.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:17 PM

How was it determined the horn buttons are working correctly?????
Until we know the method used , can't go further, thanks.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:43 PM

If anyone does know where the horn relay is, I would really appreciate the help on locating it. It is an older car…so finding someone knowledgable on this car might be tough.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:29 AM

Good possibility the horn relay is located in the Central Junction Box in which case the CJB will need to be replaced since it is not serviceable.

Quick Reply: Where is the horn relay - 2001 Ford Escape