Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

dome light out '05

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Question dome light out '05

My dome light and running board lights do not turn on anymore when I open the door or try with the in dash switch. Tried WD-40 on the drivers door latch to no avail. I have to flip the switch in the roof for my kiddos to see so they can buckle. Any ideas?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 AM

Possible broken wire in the wiring between the door and the body. Most likely the driver's door location, but could be any one.If wiring is good ,suspect body control(GEM) module.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure the fuse in position #35-10 amp fuse in the Central Junction Box (CJB) is good..

Also check position #41-10 amp (CJB) for battery saver power distribution.. Instrument cluster micro processor controls function for the clusters integrated 'Interior Lamp Relay'.. Not a serviceable/replacement part..

Do glove box/vanity mirror lamps work?

Being the lamps won't come on manualy with the dash switch, check the above. If it where a door switch, VSM, causing the non op lamps, the dash switch should still work.. When neither trigger functions work, unless a fuse, (CJB/Cluster connector issue,doubtful), generally a interior lamp relay or processor failure..

Last edited by Hayapower; 01-09-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Default answers

Yes the glove box and running board lights both work. Both fuses 35 and 41 were checked a while ago. Both are still in good shape and operational. I'm still looking for the Instrument Cluster Microprocessor and the Interior Lamp Relay.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

The interior lamp relay and the processor are internal to the cluster,, non replaceable..

Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Your first post said,, running board lamps were 'non op' opening the door or by panel control. (?)

Interior lamp relay is functioning if the running board lamps come on.. Are the RB lamps/dome operating on another door?, just the drivers side door function is non op?

Reason for the question on the Glove box/Vanity was to make sure the battery saver relay was functional. But being the dome/switched work, proves that out as well..

Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Yes the running board lamps were indeed non operational by door, or remote. I never did check with the dash switch though.
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I decided to bypass the ICP with a switch from the local auto parts store. $25 for switch and miscellaneous electrical supplies. Now I have a manual switch i plan to mount it in the dash. Not a nice as an automatic light but way cheaper than a new ICP and a trip to the dealer to program it with my mileage.