Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Need opinion on 1989 7.3l diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Default Need opinion on 1989 7.3l diesel trucks

I am considering buying a 1989 Ford f250 that has 149k miles on a 7.3l diesel engine. The truck appears to be in really nice condition and he's selling it for $3200. We don't have any reputable diesel mechanics that can look at the truck anytime soon, and I'm afraid this truck may sell if I don't jump on it. I'm trying to figure out if this year truck was a good truck and how the diesel and transmissions are in them. When I started the truck it appeared to have a bluish/white smoke followed by a puff of black smoke come out of the tailpipe. Should I be worried about that? Any other info I should look at before buying it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 07-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need opinion on 1989 7.3l diesel trucks

Early 7.3 was a good power plant..

At its current mileage and vintage, my first thought/s would be any supporting service info/docs available? Like if the injection pump had been changed?, and if so when if known.. Most pumps never made it that far, and if the original, may be an issue at some point.. If the engine fired easily, ran ‘smooth[/i]’ cold, with only a blue/black’ puff on a start up wouldn’t be a worry.. Heavy blue/black smoke/soot or extended tail emissions, rough running/misfire on acceleration maybe an indicator of a problem.. Even my 6.0 will puff on a cold start on occasion

Some had head gasket problems later on in life, but not all.. Check the radiator as well, with the wide radiator, they used to like to crack/split the radiator tank/s seem, as well as the radiator support just in front of the radiator from chassis ‘racking’ and could developed tank failures possibly brought on with a incorrect cap, and failing head gaskets ect...

Also, the E4OD was an adequate trans, more so if services were kept up, but again at that mileage and if used in heavy applications may be at or towards the end of it’s service life.. If there are any supporting service records, repair docs that accompany the truck, might help answer some questions, and shed light on components that may have been changed/repaired as well as the care that was given, and will usually tell a story of how it was used…...