Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

No fuel pressure when hot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Default No fuel pressure when hot?

My Excursion starts fine cold, good fuel pressure,but when I try to start it hot I have no fuel pressure. So I started it cold today and let it idle while on scanner, as soon as it hit 180 degrees it sputtered out. Any Ideas what this could be? It is the 6.8L V-10.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 PM

The 180 degree mark may be coincidence or may have something to do involving the coolant temp sensor or something the sensor temp influences.
You didn't provide the year of the vehicle and that is important.
If you were to unplug the coolant temp sensor before it got to the 180 mark , it would be interesting to see if the engine still quit. You will get a check engine lite when doing this , but you will know why and don't be concerned.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 AM

You could have a bad Engine Coolant temperature sensor. You normally have 2 ECTs. One for the gauge and one for the PCM. The ECTs are basically a thermistor. A cold engine will have a high resistance telling the PCM that the engine is cold and to richen the air/fuel mixture. As the engine heats up the resistance will drop telling the PCM to start leaning out the air/fuel mixture. The ECT for the PCM could be bad causing the PCM to lean out to the point that the engine shuts down. The purpose of leaning out a warm engine is to keep it from overheating and also keeping the converter(s) from melting down due to excessive fuel.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM

Use Common Sense:
I like to offer a slight correction in your explanation.
Indeed, when the engine is cold the computer will enrich the mixture to compensate for some fuel condensing to the engine walls. As the temperature rises this enrichment is taken back. However, if the fuel/air mixture is too rich it lowers the temperature. If the mixture gets too lean it raises the temperature because there is plenty of O2 for combustion available. That's why a lean mixture can burn holes into the pistons and burn up exhaust valves. A rich mixture will foul spark plugs and thin out the oil in the crank case.

And I agree the ECT sensor and its wiring are prime suspects here.