Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

01 expedition issues/missfiring please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM
Default 01 expedition issues/missfiring please help!!

i have a 01 expedition, I have replaced several things on this suv since I bought it, I am trying to fix what it needs so I can sell it asap!! so here is everything I have done to it so far that I can remember off the top of my head.. all o2 sensors twice code keeps reading bank 1 lean 1 too lean I believe is what the last reading was AFTER we replace all 4 o2's, it was still reading an o2 sensor and too lean.. so I figured something had to be triggering the sensor, I have replaced the throttle position sensor, mass air flow sensor, idle sensor, spark plugs, fuel filter all of these were just short term fixes to my main problem, which I have yet to figure out.. my step dad is a mechanic by trade I guess you could say, that's what he does for a living, but since im not a paying customer I don't think I matter as much or am as big of a deal. I also have reason to believe he disconnected my check engine light because I know it should still be on and now it only flashes when it starts to misfire really bad and that's around 39mph and up, he told me water leaks into the spark plugs and that's what's causing it, but its horrible to drive its always like putting as soon as you get about 40 and up jerking like hell and I can't stand it anymore.. I can't check the codes because the lights not on. I have also replaced the battery saver module because the battery kept being drained for no reason and wouldn't start, I replaced that and the battery, now starts right up, i put transmission fluid in and went to start it a day or two later and it started right up, but when i put it into gear it would die, the only way it would stay started was p, n, and r .. well i tried it again yesterday and its as if nothing was ever wrong drives and everything stays started when in gear, but of course still the massive misfire. i thought torque converter, but now im not sure could it be the actual transmission or just a coil pack, ughh im so stressed about this truck!! please help me if you can.. no im not a know it all about cars, i am a girl, but i know the basics and can figure it out, i am just trying to pin point the problem so i can fix it, so bear with me please!! any help is appreciated!! thank you!!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:44 PM

The last thing I want to do is get between family members!
Maybe we can shed some light on the proposed problems.
From the info you so far have supplied, I believe the "check engine"light isn't disconnected because if it is blinking it has to be connected.
When it is blinking it is trying to tell you there is an overfuel condition that can damage the vehicle's converter(s). That overfuel condition is the result of cylinder misfires. The misfires can have several causes one of which I would suspect is defective coils. When the plugs were replaced did any of them appear really black with plenty of carbon on them? That could indicate the cylinder(s) with the questionable coils.
The light doesn't have to be on to check for any stored codes. They should be stored in the PCM memory. If possible, could you provide the codes it throws out?

Old 02-01-2014, 10:42 AM

don't worry you are not causing any problems lol he's just step and when it comes to my vehicles a little lazy because he can't charge me as much, it has to be fair, not overcharged... so a fuse was blown and the computer couldn't read the guy reset it since it was blown because all that was coming up was battery pack.. idk what the even means.. so I am thinking maybe he didn't disconnect it, it was just the fuse. the light hasn't came back on yet either.. I do believe it is a coil pack though, but I wasn't there when he removed the spark plugs, he told me go have it read to see which one is not firing, I also thought the torque converter because of it dying when put into gear all except r p n, it died almost immediately if I put it into any other gear until the other day it was fine again, but I thought the tc wasn't working, but since the light hasn't been blinking and its still jerking like when goes around 40 im wondering if its the transmission or if it is just the coil pack!! ugh so frustrating after ive put all this money into fixing it and it still runs like crap!!

Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 PM

Help me out a little, you say you've replaced XXX,XXX etc. Did you replace them or did you have someone else do the work? It's important to know if you were getting wrong info or was someone else getting it. It does appear there was some guess work taking place and that can get a little expensive. Do you know what engine you have in the vehicle?

Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 AM

I went by the codes and bought the part and took it to be replaced, but I was there when he replaced it, so I know it really got replaced, the only thing I wasn't there for was the spark plugs, I just dropped it off. its a 5.4l.. I do think its either a coil pack or transmission, but like I said I just research im not an actual mechanic.. I am needing it fixed, because my 01 Chrysler 300m is overheating I have to keep the heat on to keep it from over heating, I am assuming there is a leak somewhere, but a very small one, it was taking a while to overheat until we put a clamp on the hose the is connected to the reservoir, now its overheating faster, so I am assuming it's putting more pressure where ever the leak or crack is at, and on this car you have to remove the whole bumper just to get to look at the radiator, everything on this car is a pain to do, the batter is on the bottom in the tire well and the thermostat is too hard to get to, to do it myself, which I now do not think its the thermostat, I am pretty confident theres a crack or leak in a hose or the radiator!! thanks for you help, sorry if seems a bit confusing.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:13 PM

You don't tell us how many miles are on the truck and when it was the last time the coil pack was replaced. But it is a 13 year old vehicle. I like to replace plugs wires and coil pack all at once if it hasn't been done in the last 50000 miles.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:55 PM

I believe this vehicle has the COP ign syst.
Replacement coils can be somewhat expensive depending on where purchased, however if you just want to get it running good to get rid of it (famous last words) and put cheapies on they could become troublesome. There are a few checks that can be done to determine which coils are defective, but it is best to replace them all because soon after the defective one is replaced another one will go.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 AM

the expedition has over 200,000 miles on it and the coil packs have never been replaced to my knowledge at least not since I have had it.. I have replaced plugs, but not wires, I wanted to do both at same time, but was told try plugs first, which help a little, but not a lot, coil packs here are bout 60 new from advanced auto parts online.. i don't care to replace it if it will be the fix, i would like to keep it, but i am worried more issues are to come.. if that's the case id rather fix whats broken and send it one it's way to someone else.. like i said the check engine light hasn't flashed in a while, but it is still doing the same motions as before, which i assumed was misfiring, i was told these suvs have bad reps for leakage from plugs to coil packs causing misfires.. i just hope its a misfire and not a slipping transmission!! it goes into gear fine though, its after it goes into gear when the hesitation starts, it's so bad i hate driving it, it is annoying to have to deal with that!! thanks for your help i just hope i can get this figured out so at least on vehicle is okay!!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 AM

I also need to add that the belt is whistling which I doubt that has anything to do with the other stuff, but I just didn't want to leave anything out!!

Quick Reply: 01 expedition issues/missfiring please help!!