Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2001 Rear Axle Bearing Making Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Default 2001 Rear Axle Bearing Making Noise

Hi everyone. Does anyone have experience pulling the axle out of a 2001 Expedition 2WD? I can't seem to find any information online about it. I have seen a few videos showing that I need to pull the cover off the differential and unbolt something in there, but then a friend thought the axle comes straight out if I remove the 4 bolts on the axle retainer then remove the C-clip/retainer. Then I read that someone is removing a bolt or something in the differential. A little help please. This has been a great vehicle for me. I have 160k on it and the only major repair happened early on with replacement of torque converter. It still shifts crisply and motor runs very smooth. I think I am due for second set of plugs but I will address that a little later after fixing this axle noise. Thanks!!!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:28 PM

Before you get involved in tearing apart the rear axle assy , are you positive that the bearing you want to remove is actually the one making the noise?

Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 PM

There is a small locking pin that goes into a large pin that keeps the axles from going too far in the rear end. It is a 5/16 headed bolt. These little pins are known to be easily broken. So be careful. After the through pin is rempved, push the axle in to get the c clip out. Then pull axle out.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Before you get involved in tearing apart the rear axle assy , are you positive that the bearing you want to remove is actually the one making the noise?
Actually, I am not positive. Although I have heard this noise before in another vehicle which was an axle bearing in that case. Perhaps you can help direct me, correct me, or set me straight? hehehehe

The noise is a loud humming noise coming from the rear of the car. It starts about 40mph and hits max amplitude about 60mph. If I take a curve to the left, the noise subsides slightly. If I take a curve to the right, it seems to get a little stronger in intensity. That lead me to believe that I have an axle bearing. Please feel free to shed some light on a dark spot before I begin to spend money. I'm all ears.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:44 PM

THank you, I heard it wasn't too difficult although someone thought that bold/pin didn't need to be removed just the c clip. I really appreciate your direction and help.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:21 PM

The instruction you received from way 2 old was correct. You do have to remove the small bolt that holds a larger pin in the carrier assy. The purpose of the larger pin is to keep the axles in the correct position so the c clips can't fall out. In either case, this is what I would do, Get the vehicle up on a set of jack stands, have someone raise the engine speed in drive no more than 30 MPH on the speedometer, and place a long screwdriver or piece of hose to each axle bearing and see which end produces the loudest growl, also carefully check the input to the differential (pinion brgs) and last where you estimate where the ends of the axles stop in the differential (carrier brgs).
This should help you confirm where the noise is possibly coming from. I say this because more than one mechanic has replaced a differential for noise when it was the output of the trans /transfer case brgs . The noise travels through the driveshaft to the rear end. Would like to know if this info helped you make the right decision, Thanks,,,,,hanky

Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 AM

That is some great advice. Looks like I will have to get another set of jack stands perhaps and get that puppy up in the air to determine what exactly is happening. That ought to pinpoint my failing bearing/bearings. I will keep you informed when I actually get my lazy you know what outside and get that task accomplished. Thank you so much!!!