Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Blue / White Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Default Blue / White Exhaust

Hey,
I need some technical help. My 2000 Expedition (5.4L) (90K mi.) blows a lot of blue white exhaust smoke during initial start up. After the initial start it has normal exhaust - no smoke. I checked the oil dipstick and it was dry and appeared to have burnt on oil (YIKES). I changed the oil and filter immediately. There wasn't much oil in the pan. I used oil for older engines that is supposed to help the seals and gaskets - now no smoke. I think I treated the symptom not the disease.

What do you think is causing this? Head gasket? Valve seals? Bad / sticking valve(s)? Also, how much can I expect to repair any of these?

Thanks, in advance for your counsel

Carl

Old 07-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Default RE: Blue / White Exhaust

HUMMMMM, Not good , you need to really check the fluid levels on a reg. basis , you know like every Saturday Morning , or something like that , depending on how much you drive, The smoke at first start up is sorta normal on all vechiles , unless you have this LARGE CLOUD forming after you start it up , on an engine with this many miles a FAIR GUESS would be valve seals , you would need a complete work up to really find out , as for the oil problem just moniter it , does it use more then a quart every 3000 miles ?. My sons have at one point all run there motors low on oil with no adverse problem ( I just have a hard time with this as they what the end results are )

Old 07-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Default RE: Blue / White Exhaust

Ramrod:
Thanks - I'm thinking valve seals as well.

I have never had an oil problem with this truck before, so I'm not certain how much oil it uses. I'm religious about changing the oil every 3000 miles. It was due for an oil change, when my wife told me about the smoke. I checked the oil immediately and was shocked to see a dry dipstick.

How much do think I'd be looking at to have the valve seals replaced?

While they're in there, anything else we should change? timing belt? head gasket?

Thanks for the response

Carl