Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

New Vehicle

Old 01-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Default New Vehicle

Looking to purchase another vehicle looking to get an Expedition. There is a dealership trying to sell me one for $5100 it was originally priced for $6790. It has 205,000 miles is this to many? It is a 2003

Last edited by SHONDARENE; 01-28-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Forgot the year
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM

That's not a new vehicle, Shondarene, it is an old one. Expect issues. I cannot say from here if it's good for the price or not. But at that mileage you should have it inspected by a mechanic of your choice prior to buying.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Thats is not to bad, as long as the engine is sound. Is it gas or deisel?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by R.Huck
Thats is not to bad, as long as the engine is sound. Is it gas or deisel?
Huck: this is one of those blanket opinions which I find to be risky. There is a vehicle with 200000 miles on the lot with shiny waxed paint and deep black tires. Here are the questions that I would have:
At about 150000 miles the suspension and steering parts start to give. Have the tie rod ends, lower ball joints and struts been replaced yet?
Unless the transmission has been serviced in religious fashion it could fail any time. Does the seller have complete service records?
How much is left on the brake pads and shoes? Are the rotors and drums in tip top shape?
Is there any evidence of accident repair?
Is there any rust on the underside of the vehicle? (body, exhaust system, suspension parts?
Are there any leaks at the engine, transmission, cooling system, and brake system?
Has the engine coolant been changed on time? How about the timing belt, if applicable?
Are heating and air conditioning working properly?
Is the driver's seat worn out? (there are some heavy people out there and some seats are not up to that)
Those are the major things and I wouldn't worry about a crackling speaker or a loose lid on the console.

Therefore I advise anyone who asks on a forum "is this a good deal?" to have the vehicle inspected prior to purchase. For the $100.00 or so you get either "peace of mind" or a strong case to have the purchase price reduced, or a strong case to walk away. A person who asks this question on a forum is not knowledgeable enough about cars to know these things. Typically they are very knowledgeable about things that I have no clue about.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 AM

bluewind , you gave some good advice. Must agree have it checked out thoroughly not only for peace of mind, but also for conservation----,,,,,of funds.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the flowers, Hanky!

You (and anyone else) may copy and paste it where appropriate.

Shondarene: You may print out the questions and pose them to the dealer. Note his answers. Then ask him if he is willing to have the vehicle looked at by your mechanic.
Once you have the mechanic's view you know not only how good or bad the car is you also no how honest the dealer is.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:07 AM

Thank you for all the replying.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Shondarene, if you're not 100% confident in your skills to asses a vehicle then can I suggest something. If not already a member, sign up with AAA. They have boat loads of information, tools and people who can help you make the best informed decision.

Not to mention if by some bad luck after that you do have a problem with the car, towing is free (up to a point depending on your membership level).

Good luck with the purchase.

Notice of disclosure: I do not work nor was I paid or benefiting in any way from AAA by posting this information. It is being shared by someone who has used their services in the past and was happy by the services provided. Your experiences may differ from my perceived reality.